AP78LXX SERIES 3-TERMINAL POSITIVE REGULATORS
The AP78LXX Series is a three terminal positive regulator
available with fixed output voltages from 5V, 8V and 12V,
making them useful in a wide range of applications. When
used as a Zener diode/resistor combination replacement, the
AP78LXX can improve output impedance by two orders of
magnitude, and lower quiescent current. These regulators
can provide local on card regulation, eliminating the
distribution problems associated with single point regulation.
The voltages available allow the AP78LXX's to be used in
logic systems. Instrumentation, HiFi and other solid state
The AP78LXX is available in the plastic TO92, SOT89 and
SO-8 using industrial standard package technology. The
regulator can deliver 100mA output current with adequate
heat sinking. Current limiting is included to limit the peak
output current to a safe value. Safe area protection for the
output transistors is provided to limit internal power
dissipation. Thermal overload protection is integrated to
prevent the IC from overheat due to abnormal condition.
VOUT GND VIN
• Output voltages of 5.0V, 8.0V, 12V
• Output voltage tolerances of ±5% over the operating
• Output current in excess of 100mA
• Internal thermal overload protection
• Output transistor safe area protection
• Internal short circuit current limiting
• No external components
• Available in plastic TO92, SOT89 and plastic SO-8 low
• Lead Free Package: TO92 (Note 1)
• SO-8 and SOT89: Available in “Green” Molding
Compound (No Br, Sb) (Note 2)
• Lead Free Finish / RoHS Compliant (Note 3)
VOUT GND VIN
• Set-Top Box
1. TO92 is available in “Lead Free” product only.
2. SO-8 and SOT89 are available in “Green” products only.
3. EU Directive 2002/95/EC (RoHS) & 2011/65/EU (RoHS 2). All applicable RoHS exemptions applied.
Document number: DS31054 Rev. 10 - 2
1 of 16
© Diodes Incorporated