Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
SEMICONDUCTOR TECHNICAL DATA
Document order number: MC33996
Rev 1.0, 01/2004
16-Output Switch with SPI Control
The 33996 is a 16-output low-side switch with a 24-bit serial input control.
It is designed for a variety of applications including inductive, incandescent,
and LED loads. The Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) provides both input
control and diagnostic readout. A Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control input
is provided for pulse width modulation of multiple outputs at the same duty
cycle. A dedicated reset input provides the ability to clear all internal registers
and turn all outputs off.
The 33996 directly interfaces with microcontrollers and is compatible with
both 3.3 V and 5.0 V CMOS logic levels. The 33996, in effect, serves as a bus
expander and buffer with fault management features that reduce the MCU’s
fault management burden.
• Designed to Operate 5.0 V < VPWR < 27 V
• 24-Bit SPI for Control and Fault Reporting, 3.3 V/5.0 V Compatible
• Outputs Are Current Limited (0.9 A to 2.5 A) to Drive Incandescent
• Output Voltage Clamp of +50 V During Inductive Switching
• On/Off Control of Open Load Detect Current (LED Application)
• VPWR Standby Current < 10 µA
• RDS(ON) of 0.55 Ω at 25°C Typical
• Independent Overtemperature Protection
• Output Selectable for PWM Control
• Output ON Short-to-VBAT and OFF Short-to-Ground/Open Detection
• 32-Pin Exposed Pad Package for Thermal Performance
• Pb-Free Packaging Designated by Suffix Code EK
DUAL OCTAL SERIAL SWITCH
WITH SERIAL PERIPHERAL
EK (Pb-FREE) SUFFIX
32-LEAD SOICW EXPOSED PAD
PC33996EK/R2 -40°C to 125°C 32 SOICW-EP
3.3 V/5.0 V
This document contains information on a product under development.
Motorola reserves the right to change or discontinue this product without notice.
© Motorola, Inc. 2004
For More Information On This Product,
Go to: www.freescale.com