128/144Mbit (256Kx16/18x32s) Preliminary
The Rambus Direct RDRAM™ is a general purpose high-
performance memory device suitable for use in a broad
range of applications including computer memory, graphics,
video, and any other application where high bandwidth and
low latency are required.
The 128/144-Mbit Direct Rambus DRAMs (RDRAM®) are
extremely high-speed CMOS DRAMs organized as 8M
words by 16 or 18 bits. The use of Rambus Signaling Level
www.DataSh(eReSt4LU).ctoemchnology permits 600MHz to 800MHz transfer
rates while using conventional system and board design
technologies. Direct RDRAM devices are capable of
sustained data transfers at 1.25 ns per two bytes (10ns per
The architecture of the Direct RDRAMs allows the highest
sustained bandwidth for multiple, simultaneous randomly
addressed memory transactions. The separate control and
data buses with independent row and column control yield
over 95% bus efficiency. The Direct RDRAM's 32 banks
support up to four simultaneous transactions.
System oriented features for mobile, graphics and large
memory systems include power management, byte masking,
and x18 organization. The two data bits in the x18 organiza-
tion are general and can be used for additional storage and
bandwidth or for error correction.
• Highest sustained bandwidth per DRAM device
- 1.6GB/s sustained data transfer rate
- Separate control and data buses for maximized
- Separate row and column control buses for
easy scheduling and highest performance
- 32 banks: four transactions can take place simul-
taneously at full bandwidth data rates
• Low latency features
- Write buffer to reduce read latency
- 3 precharge mechanisms for controller flexibility
- Interleaved transactions
• Advanced power management:
- Multiple low power states allows flexibility in
power consumption versus time to transition to active
- Power-down self-refresh
• Organization: 1Kbyte pages and 32 banks, x 16/18
- x18 organization allows ECC configurations or
- x16 organization for low cost applications
• Uses Rambus Signaling Level (RSL) for up to
Figure 1: Direct RDRAM uBGA Package
The 128/144-Mbit Direct RDRAMs are offered in a uBGA
package suitable for desktop as well as low-profile add-in
card and mobile applications.
Direct RDRAMs operate from a 2.5 volt supply.
Key Timing Parameters/Part Numbers
I/O Freq. Core Access Time
a. The “32s” designation indicates that this RDRAM core is com-
posed of 32 banks which use a “split” bank architecture.
b. The “M” indicates the mirrored package.
This document is a general product description and is subject to change without notice. Hyundai Electronics does not assume any
responsibility for use of circuits described. No patent licenses are implied.