10BASE-T/100BASE-TX INTEGRATED PHYCEIVER WITH RMII INTERFACE
The ICS1894-40 is a low-power, physical-layer device
(PHY) that supports the ISO/IEC 10Base-T and
100Base-TX Carrier-Sense Multiple Access/Collision
Detection (CSMA/CD) Ethernet standards, ISO/IEC
8802.3. It is intended for RMII/MII, Node/Repeater
applications and includes the Auto-MDIX feature that
automatically corrects crossover errors in plant wiring.
The ICS1894-40 incorporates Digital-Signal Processing
(DSP) control in its Physical-Medium Dependent (PMD)
sub-layer. As a result, it can transmit and receive data on
unshielded twisted-pair (UTP) category 5 cables with
attenuation in excess of 24 dB at 100MHz.
The ICS1894-40 provides a Serial-Management Interface
for exchanging command and status information with a
Station-Management (STA) entity. The ICS1894-40
Media-Dependent Interface (MDI) can be configured to
provide either half-duplex or full-duplex operation at data
rates of 10 Mb/s or 100Mb/s.
In addition, the ICS1894-40 includes a programmable LED
and interrupt output function. The LED outputs can be
configured through registers to indicate the occurance of
certain events such as LINK, COLLISION, ACTIVITY, etc.
The purpose of the programmable interrupt output is to
notify the PHY controller device immediately when a certain
event happens instead of having the PHY controller
continuously poll the PHY. The events that could be used to
generate interrupts are: receiver error, Jabber, page
received, parallel detect fault, link partner acknowledge, link
status change, auto-negotiation complete, remote fault,
The ICS1894-40 has deep power modes that can result in
significant power savings when the link is broken.
• Supports category 5 cables and above with attenuation in
excess of 24dB at 100 MHz.
• Single-chip, fully integrated PHY provides PCS, PMA,
PMD, and AUTONEG sub layers functions of IEEE
• 10Base-T and 100Base-TX IEEE 8802.3 compliant
• MIIM (MDC/MDIO) management bus for PHY register
• RMII interface support with external 50 MHz system clock
• Single 3.3V power supply
• Highly configurable, supports:
– Media Independent Interface (MII)
– Auto-Negotiation with Parallel detection
– Node applications, managed or unmanaged
– 10M or 100M full and half-duplex modes
– Loopback mode for Diagnostic Functions
• Auto-MDI/MDIX crossover correction
• Low-power CMOS (typically 300 mW)
• Power-Down mode (typically 21mW)
• Clock and crystal supported in MII mode
• Programmable LEDs
• Interrupt output pin
• Fully integrated, DSP-based PMD includes:
– Adaptive equalization and baseline-wander
– Transmit wave shaping and stream cipher
Applications: NIC cards, PC motherboards, switches,
routers, DSL and cable modems, game machines, printers,
network connected appliances, and industrial equipment.
Not recommended for new designs
– MLT-3 encoder and NRZ/NRZI encoder
• Core power supply (3.3 V)
• 3.3 V/1.8 V VDDIO operation supported
• Smart power control with deep power down feature
• Available in 40-pin (6mm x 6mm) QFN package, Pb-free
• Industrial Temp and Lead Free
— For full/half duplex RMII only interface support, please refer to ICS1894-43 datasheet.
— For full/half duplex MII only interface support, please refer to ICS1894-44 datasheet.
— ICS1894-43 and ICS1894-44 are pin-compatible with ICS1894-40.
IDT® 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX INTEGRATED PHYCEIVER WITH RMII INTERFACE
ICS1894-40 REV K 022412