Digital DC/DC PMBus 12A Module
The ZL9101M is a 12A variable output step-down
PMBus-compliant digital power supply. Included in the module
is a high performance digital PWM controller, power MOSFETs,
an inductor, and all the passive components required for a
complete DC/DC power solution. The ZL9101M operates over
a wide input voltage range and supports an output voltage
range of 0.6V to 4V, which can be set by external resistors or
via PMBus. This high efficiency power module is capable of
delivering 12A. Only bulk input and output capacitors are
needed to finish the design. The output voltage can be
precisely regulated to as low as 0.6V with ±1% output voltage
regulation over line, load, and temperature variations.
The ZL9101M features internal compensation, internal
soft-start, auto-recovery overcurrent protection, an enable
option, and pre-biased output start-up capabilities.
The ZL9101M is packaged in a thermally enhanced, compact
(15mmx15mm) and low profile (3.5mm) over-molded QFN
package module suitable for automated assembly by standard
surface mount equipment. The ZL9101M is Pb-free and RoHS
• Complete Digital Switch Mode Power Supply
• Fast Transient Response
• External Synchronization
• Output Voltage Tracking
• Current Sharing
• Programmable Soft-start Delay and Ramp
• Overcurrent/Undercurrent Protection
• PMBus Compliant
• Server, Telecom, and Datacom
• Industrial and Medical Equipment
• General Purpose Point of Load
• See AN2033, “Zilker Labs PMBus Command Set - DDC
• See AN2034, “Configuring Current Sharing on the ZL2004
4.5V TO 6.5V
POWER GOOD OUTPUT
DDC Bus 2
4.5V TO 13.2V
2 x 22µF
3 x 47µF 3
1. The I2C/SMBus requires pull-up resistors. Please refer to the I2C/SMBus specifications for more details.
2. The DDC bus requires a pull-up resistor. The resistance will vary based on the capacitive loading of the bus (and on the number of
devices connected). The 10k default value, assuming a maximum of 100pF per device, provides the necessary 1µs pull-up rise time.
Please refer to the Digital-DC Bus section for more details.
3. Additional capacitance may be required to meet specific transient response targets
4. The VR, V25, VDRV, and VDD capacitors should be placed no further than 0.5 cm from the pin.
FIGURE 1. 12A APPLICATION CIRCUIT
NOTE: Figure 1 represents a typical implementation of the ZL9101M. For PMBus operation, it is recommended to tie the enable pin (EN) to SGND.
April 8, 2011
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2010, 2011. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Free Datasheet http://www.datasheet4u.com/