April 13, 2005
Two-Phase Multiphase Buck PWM
Controller with Integrated MOSFET Drivers
The ISL6563 two-phase PWM control IC provides a
precision voltage regulation system for advanced
microprocessors. Multiphase power conversion is a marked
departure from single phase converter configurations
employed to satisfy the increasing current demands of
modern microprocessors and other electronic circuits. By
distributing the power and load current, implementation of
multiphase converters utilize smaller and lower cost
transistors with fewer input and output capacitors. These
reductions accrue from the higher effective conversion
frequency with higher frequency ripple current due to the
phase interleaving process of this topology.
Outstanding features of this controller IC include
programmable VID codes compatible with Intel VRM9,
VRM10, as well as AMD’s Hammer microprocessors, along
with a system regulation accuracy of ±1%. The droop
characteristic, used to reduce the overshoot or undershoot of
the output voltage, is easily programmed with a single resistor.
Important features of this controller IC include a set of
sophisticated overvoltage and overcurrent protection.
Overvoltage results in the converter turning the lower
MOSFETs ON to clamp the rising output voltage and protect
the microprocessor. Like other Intersil multiphase
controllers, the ISL6563 uses cost and space-saving
rDS(ON) sensing for channel current balance, dynamic
voltage positioning, and overcurrent protection. Channel
current balancing is automatic and accurate with the
integrated current-balance control system. Overcurrent
protection can be tailored to any application with no need for
additional parts. These features provide advanced protection
for the microprocessor and power system.
PART NUMBER (°C)
0 to 70 24 Ld 4x4 QFN
ISL6563CRZ (Note 1) 0 to 70 24 Ld 4x4 QFN (Pb-free) L24.4x4B
0 to 70 24 Ld 4x4 QFN
ISL6563IRZ (Note 1) 0 to 70 24 Ld 4x4 QFN (Pb-free) L24.4x4B
1. Intersil Pb-free products employ special Pb-free material sets;
molding compounds/die attach materials and 100% matte tin
plate termination finish, which are RoHS compliant and
compatible with both SnPb and Pb-free soldering operations.
Intersil Pb-free products are MSL classified at Pb-free peak
reflow temperatures that meet or exceed the Pb-free
requirements of IPC/JEDEC J STD-020.
2. Add “-T” suffix for Tape and Reel.
• Integrated Two-Phase Power Conversion
• Both 5V and 12V Conversion
• Precision Channel Current Sharing
- Loss Less Current Sampling - Uses rDS(ON)
• Precision Output Voltage Regulation
- ±1% System Accuracy Over Temperature (Commercial)
• Microprocessor Voltage Identification Inputs
- Up to a 6-Bit DAC
- Selectable between Intel’s VRM9, VRM10, or AMD’s
Hammer DAC codes
- Resistor-Programmable Droop Voltage
• Fast Transient Recovery Time
• Overcurrent Protection
• Improved, Multi-tiered Overvoltage Protection
• Capable of Start-up into a Pre-Charged Output
• QFN Package:
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220
QFN - Quad Flat No Leads - Package Outline
- Near Chip Scale Package footprint, which improves
PCB efficiency and has a thinner profile
• Pb-Free Available (RoHS Compliant)
24 23 22 21 20 19
7 8 9 10 11 12
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 321-724-7143 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2003-2005. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.