October 10, 2005
CMOS Voltage Converters
The Intersil ICL7660 and ICL7660A are monolithic CMOS
power supply circuits which offer unique performance
advantages over previously available devices. The ICL7660
performs supply voltage conversions from positive to
negative for an input range of +1.5V to +10.0V resulting in
complementary output voltages of -1.5V to -10.0V and the
ICL7660A does the same conversions with an input range of
+1.5V to +12.0V resulting in complementary output voltages
www.DataSheoeft-41U..5cVomto -12.0V. Only 2 noncritical external capacitors are
needed for the charge pump and charge reservoir functions.
The ICL7660 and ICL7660A can also be connected to
function as voltage doublers and will generate output
voltages up to +18.6V with a +10V input.
Contained on the chip are a series DC supply regulator, RC
oscillator, voltage level translator, and four output power
MOS switches. A unique logic element senses the most
negative voltage in the device and ensures that the output
N-Channel switch source-substrate junctions are not forward
biased. This assures latchup free operation.
The oscillator, when unloaded, oscillates at a nominal
frequency of 10kHz for an input supply voltage of 5.0V. This
frequency can be lowered by the addition of an external
capacitor to the “OSC” terminal, or the oscillator may be
overdriven by an external clock.
The “LV” terminal may be tied to GROUND to bypass the
internal series regulator and improve low voltage (LV)
operation. At medium to high voltages (+3.5V to +10.0V for
the ICL7660 and +3.5V to +12.0V for the ICL7660A), the LV
pin is left floating to prevent device latchup.
(8 LD PDIP, SOIC)
• Simple Conversion of +5V Logic Supply to ±5V Supplies
• Simple Voltage Multiplication (VOUT = (-) nVIN)
• Typical Open Circuit Voltage Conversion Efficiency 99.9%
• Typical Power Efficiency 98%
• Wide Operating Voltage Range
- ICL7660 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.5V to 10.0V
- ICL7660A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.5V to 12.0V
• ICL7660A 100% Tested at 3V
• Easy to Use - Requires Only 2 External Non-Critical
• No External Diode Over Full Temp. and Voltage Range
• Pb-Free Plus Anneal Available (RoHS Compliant)
• On Board Negative Supply for Dynamic RAMs
• Localized µProcessor (8080 Type) Negative Supplies
• Inexpensive Negative Supplies
• Data Acquisition Systems
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 1999-2004, 2005. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.