File Number 4324
Buck and Synchronous-Rectiﬁer
Pulse-Width Modulator (PWM) Controller
The HIP6012 provides complete control and protection for a
DC-DC converter optimized for high-performance
microprocessor applications. It is designed to drive two
N-Channel MOSFETs in a synchronous-rectiﬁed buck
topology. The HIP6012 integrates all of the control, output
adjustment, monitoring and protection functions into a single
The output voltage of the converter can be precisely
regulated to as low as 1.27V, with a maximum tolerance of
±1.5% over temperature and line voltage variations.
The HIP60012 provides simple, single feedback loop,
voltage-mode control with fast transient response. It includes
a 200kHz free-running triangle-wave oscillator that is
adjustable from below 50kHz to over 1MHz. The error
ampliﬁer features a 15MHz gain-bandwidth product and
6V/µs slew rate which enables high converter bandwidth for
fast transient performance. The resulting PWM duty ratio
ranges from 0% to 100%.
The HIP6012 protects against over-current conditions by
inhibiting PWM operation. The HIP6012 monitors the current
by using the rDS(ON) of the upper MOSFET which eliminates
the need for a current sensing resistor.
• Drives Two N-Channel MOSFETs
• Operates From +5V or +12V Input
• Simple Single-Loop Control Design
- Voltage-Mode PWM Control
• Fast Transient Response
- High-Bandwidth Error Ampliﬁer
- Full 0% to 100% Duty Ratio
• Excellent Output Voltage Regulation
- 1.27V Internal Reference
- ±1.5% Over Line Voltage and Temperature
• Over-Current Fault Monitor
- Does Not Require Extra Current Sensing Element
- Uses MOSFETs rDS(ON)
• Small Converter Size
- Constant Frequency Operation
- 200kHz Free-Running Oscillator Programmable from
50kHz to Over 1MHz
• 14 Pin, SOIC Package
• Power Supply for Pentium®, Pentium Pro, PowerPC™ and
• High-Power 5V to 3.xV DC-DC Regulators
• Low-Voltage Distributed Power Supplies
PART NUMBER RANGE (oC)
0 to 70 14 Ld SOIC
PowerPC™ is a trademark of IBM.
Alpha™ is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.
Pentium® is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
http://www.intersil.com or 407-727-9207 | Copyright © Intersil Corporation 1999