March 2000 File Number 4420.2
Buck and Synchronous-Rectiﬁer (PWM)
Controller and Output Voltage Monitor
The HIP6014 provides complete control and protection for a
DC-DC converter optimized for high-performance
microprocessor applications. It is designed to drive two
N-Channel MOSFETs in a synchronous-rectified buck topology.
The HIP6014 integrates all of the control, output adjustment,
monitoring and protection functions into a single package.
The output voltage of the converter is easily adjusted and
precisely regulated. The HIP6014 includes a fully TTL-
compatible 5-input digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that
adjusts the output voltage from 2.1VDC to 3.5VDC in 0.1V
increments and from 1.8VDC to 2.05VDC in 0.05V steps.
The precision reference and voltage-mode regulator hold the
selected output voltage to within ±1% over temperature and
line voltage variations.
The HIP6014 provides simple, single feedback loop, voltage-
mode control with fast transient response. It includes a
200kHz free-running triangle-wave oscillator that is
adjustable from below 50kHz to over 1MHz. The error
ampliﬁer features a 15MHz gain-bandwidth product and
6V/µs slew rate which enables high converter bandwidth for
fast transient performance. The resulting PWM duty ratio
ranges from 0% to 100%.
The HIP6014 monitors the output voltage with a window
comparator that tracks the DAC output and issues a Power
Good signal when the output is within ±10%. The HIP6014
protects against over-current and over-voltage conditions by
inhibiting PWM operation. Additional built-in over-voltage
protection triggers an external SCR to crowbar the input
supply. The HIP6014 monitors the current by using the
rDS(ON) of the upper MOSFET which eliminates the need for
a current sensing resistor.
• Drives Two N-Channel MOSFETs
• Operates from +5V or +12V Input
• Simple Single-Loop Control Design
- Voltage-Mode PWM Control
• Fast Transient Response
- High-Bandwidth Error Ampliﬁer
- Full 0% to 100% Duty Ratio
• Excellent Output Voltage Regulation
- ±1% Over Line Voltage and Temperature
• TTL-Compatible 5-Bit Digital-to-Analog Output
- Wide Range . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.8VDC to 3.5VDC
- 0.1V Binary Steps . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.1VDC to 3.5VDC
- 0.05V Binary Steps . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.8VDC to 2.05VDC
• Power-Good Output Voltage Monitor
• Over-Voltage and Over-Current Fault Monitors
- Does Not Require Extra Current Sensing Element,
Uses MOSFET’s rDS(ON)
• Small Converter Size
- Constant Frequency Operation
- 200kHz Free-Running Oscillator Programmable from
50kHz to over 1MHz
• Power Supply for Pentium®, Pentium Pro, Pentium II,
PowerPC™, K6™, 6X86™ and Alpha™ Microprocessors
• High-Power 5V to 3.xV DC-DC Regulators
• Low-Voltage Distributed Power Supplies
PART NUMBER RANGE (oC)
0 to 70 20 Ld SOIC
6X86TM is a trademark of Cyrix Corporation.
AlphaTM is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.
K6TM is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Pentium® is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation.
PowerPCTM is a trademark of IBM.
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 321-724-7143 | Copyright © Intersil Corporation 2000