The ISL3084 is a 5GHz SiGe
monolithic VCO circuit designed to
simplify and reduce the cost and size
of miniature wireless transceivers.
A fully integrated VCO requiring no external elements such
as inductors and varactors greatly simplifies low cost local
oscillator synthesized applications.
Included in this differential design is a low-power standby
function and a stable process and temperature biasing
The ISL3084 is housed in a 16 lead QFN package
well-suited for PCMCIA and miniPCI board applications.
16 15 14 13
• Single Supply . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.7V to 3.3V
• Frequency . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.9GHz typical
• Fully Integrated/No External Varactors or Resonators
• Isolation Output Buffer/Reduced Load Pulling
• Differential Design/Reduced Spurs
• Digitally Controlled Power Down Mode
• QFN Package:
- Compliant to JEDEC PUB95 MO-220 QFN - Quad Flat
No Leads - Package Outline
- Near Chip Scale Package footprint, which improves
PCB efficiency and has a thinner profile
• Systems Targeting IEEE802.11b, 11Mbps Standard
• Only required VCO function for Intersil PRISM3 chip set
• WLAN Applications.
• PCMCIA Wireless Transceivers
• TDMA Packet Protocol Radios
Simplified Block Diagram
2, 6, 12
3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14
PART NUMBER TEMP. RANGE (oC) PACKAGE PKG. NO.
-40 to 85
16 Ld QFN L16.4x4
-40 to 85
Tape and Reel
Input tuning voltage from loop filter. Sensitivity to external injected noise to KVCO. Careful noise-free
Supply pins. Requires high quality capacitor RF decoupling. Phase noise behavior proportional to supply
pushing specifications. Use good quality, low-frequency decoupling/filtering techniques.
Power enable control pin: VCO enabled high.
Differential VCO output. Terminate into 100Ω differential impedance. Terminate one end into 50Ω when
single end output with equivalent loss of power.
Use high quality .68µF filter capacitor to ground.
Use high quality .68µF filter capacitor to VCC.
Floating paddle. Grounding is recommended.
1 CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 321-724-7143 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright © Intersil Americas Inc. 2003. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
PRISM® is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc. PRISM and design is a trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.