Single Supply/Low Power/256-Tap/SPI Bus, Quad
Digitally-Controlled (XDCP™) Potentiometer
The X9251 integrates four digitally controlled potentiometers
(XDCP) on a monolithic CMOS integrated circuit.
The digitally controlled potentiometers are implemented with
a combination of resistor elements and CMOS switches. The
position of the wipers are controlled by the user through the
SPI bus interface. Each potentiometer has associated with it a
volatile Wiper Counter Register (WCR) and four nonvolatile
Data Registers that can be directly written to and read by the
user. The content of the WCR controls the position of the wiper.
At power-up, the device recalls the content of the default Data
Registers of each DCP (DR00, DR10, DR20, and DR30) to the
The XDCP can be used as a three terminal potentiometer or as
a two terminal variable resistor in a wide variety of
applications including control, parameter adjustments, and
• Four potentiometers in one package
• 256 resistor taps–0.4% resolution
• SPI serial interface for write, read, and transfer operations of
• Wiper resistance: 100Ω typical at VCC = 5V
• 4 Nonvolatile data registers for each potentiometer
• Nonvolatile storage of multiple wiper positions
• Standby current <5µA max
• VCC: 2.7V to 5.5V operation
• 50kΩ version of total resistance
• 100 year data retention
• Single supply version of X9250
• Endurance: 100,000 data changes per bit per register
• 24 Ld SOIC, 24 Ld TSSOP
• Low power CMOS
• Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
FIGURE 1. FUNCTIONAL DIAGRAM
December 3, 2014
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Copyright Intersil Americas LLC 2005-2007, 2014. All Rights Reserved
Intersil (and design) and XDCP are trademarks owned by Intersil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.