Low Noise Amplifier
• Low Noise Figure: 1.15 dB
• High Gain: 27 dB
• Low Power Consumption: 5V, 20 mA
• High Dynamic Range
• Lead-Free SOIC-8 Package
• 100% Matte Tin Plating over Copper
• Halogen-Free “Green” Mold Compound
• 260°C Reflow Compatible
• RoHS* Compliant Version of AM50-0002
M/A-COM’s MAALSS0042 is a high performance
GaAs MMIC low noise amplifier in a lead-free SOIC
8-lead surface mount plastic package. The
MAALSS0042 employs a monolithic 3-stage self-
bias design and a simple external matching network
to obtain minimum noise figure.
The MAALSS0042 is ideally suited for use where
low noise figure, high gain, high dynamic range and
low power consumption are required. Typical
applications include receiver front ends in the Global
Positioning System (GPS) market, as well as
standard gain blocks, buffer amps, driver amps, and
IF amps in both fixed and portable systems.
M/A-COM’S MAALSS0042 is fabricated using a
mature 0.5-micron gate length GaAs process. The
process features full passivation for increased
Ordering Information 1,2
3000 piece reel
Sample Test Board
1. Reference Application Note M513 for reel size information.
2. Die quantity varies.
Pin Configuration 3,4,5
2 RF IN
6 RF OUT RF Output, VDD
3. Pins 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 must be RF and DC grounded (see
Recommended PCB Configuration).
4. Pin 2 is the RF input and must be connected to the simple
matching network shown in the Application Schematic.
5. Pin 6 is the RF output. VDD is also applied on Pin 6.
Absolute Maximum Ratings 6,7
Channel Temperature 8
-40 °C to +85 °C
-65 °C to +150 °C
6. Exceeding any one or combination of these limits may cause
permanent damage to this device.
7. M/A-COM does not recommend sustained operation near
these survivability limits.
8. Typical thermal resistance (θjc) = +165 °C/W
* Restrictions on Hazardous Substances, European Union Directive 2002/95/EC.
ADVANCED: Data Sheets contain information regarding a product M/A-COM Technology Solutions • North America Tel: 800.366.2266 / Fax: 978.366.2266
is considering for development. Performance is based on target specifications, simulated results,
and/or prototype measurements. Commitment to develop is not guaranteed.
PRELIMINARY: Data Sheets contain information regarding a product M/A-COM Technology
Solutions has under development. Performance is based on engineering tests. Specifications are
• Europe Tel: 44.1908.574.200 / Fax: 44.1908.574.300
• Asia/Pacific Tel: 81.44.844.8296 / Fax: 81.44.844.8298
Visit www.macomtech.com for additional data sheets and product information.
typical. Mechanical outline has been fixed. Engineering samples and/or test data may be available.
Commitment to produce in volume is not guaranteed.
M/A-COM Technology Solutions Inc. and its affiliates reserve the right to make
changes to the product(s) or information contained herein without notice.