EVALUATION KIT AVAILABLE
The DS8500 is a single-chip modem with Highway
Addressable Remote Transducer (HART) capabilities. It
has been fully tested and verified and has received a
HART® Certificate of Registration. The device integrates
the modulation and demodulation of the 1200Hz/2200Hz
FSK signal, has very low power consumption, and
needs only a few external components due to the inte-
grated digital signal processing. The input signal is
sampled by an analog-to-digital converter (ADC), fol-
lowed by a digital filter/demodulator. This architecture
ensures reliable signal detection in noisy environments.
The output digital-to-analog converter (DAC) generates
a sine wave and provides a clean signal with phase-
continuous switching between 1200Hz and 2200Hz.
Low power is achieved by disabling the receive circuits
during transmit and vice versa. The DS8500 is ideal for
low-power process control transmitters.
4mA–20mA Loop-Powered Transmitters for
Temperature, Pressure, Flow, and Level
HART Modem Interface Connectivity
Benefits and Features
• Single-Chip, Half-Duplex Modem Overlays 1200bps
FSK Digital Communication on Top of Installed
4mA–20mA Current Loop Infrastructure
• Digital Signal Processing Provides Reliable Input
Signal Detection in Noisy Conditions
• Standard Component 3.6864MHz Crystal Reduces
• Fully Tested and Verified as a HART-Registered
• Integrated Solution Requires Minimal Power and
• 2.7V to 3.6V Operating Voltage
• 285µA (max) Current Consumption
• Space-Saving, 5mm x 5mm x 0.8mm, 20-Pin
• Few External Components Required
-40°C to +85°C
+Denotes a lead(Pb)-free/RoHS-compliant package.
*EP = Exposed pad.
HART is a registered trademark of the HART Communication
Foundation. Membership in the HART Communication
Foundation does not guarantee a product has been verified or
received a HART Registration Certificate.
15 14 13 12 11
(5mm × 5mm)
19-7581; Rev 2; 4/15