Click here for production status of specific part numbers.
EVALUATION KIT AVAILABLE
1-Cell ModelGauge m5 EZ Fuel Gauge with
Protector and SHA-256 Authentication
The MAX17301–MAX17303/MAX17311–MAX17313 is a
24μA IQ stand-alone pack-side fuel gauge IC with protec-
tor and optional SHA-256 authentication for 1-cell lithium-
The IC monitors the voltage, current, temperature, and
state of the battery to provide against over/undervoltage,
overcurrent, short-circuit, over/undertemperature and
overcharge conditions protection using external high-side
N-FETs, and provides charging prescription to ensure that
the lithium-ion/polymer battery operates under safe condi-
tions prolonging the life of the battery.
To prevent battery pack cloning, the IC integrates
SHA-256 authentication with a 160-bit secret key. Each IC
incorporates a unique 64-bit ID.
The fuel gauge uses ModelGauge m5 algorithm that com-
bines the short-term accuracy and linearity of a coulomb
counter with the long-term stability of a voltage-based fuel
gauge to provide industry-leading fuel-gauge accuracy.
The IC automatically compensates for cell aging, temper-
ature, and discharge rate, and provides accurate state-of-
charge (SOC) in milliampere-hours (mAh) or percentage
(%) over a wide range of operating conditions.
Dynamic power functionality provides the instantaneous
maximum battery output power which can be delivered
to the system without violating the minimum system input
A Maxim 1-Wire® or 2-wire I2C interface provides access
to data and control registers. The IC is available in a
lead-free, 3mm x 3mm 14-pin TDFN and 1.7mm x 2.5mm
15-bump 0.5mm pitch WLP packages.
● Smartphones, Tablets, and 2-in-1 Laptops
● Smartwatches and Wearables
● Medical Devices, Health and Fitness Monitors
● Digital Still, Video, and Action Cameras
● Handheld Computers and Terminals
● Handheld Radios
● Home and Building Automation, Sensors
● Smart Batteries
Benefits and Features
● Battery Health + Programmable Safety/Protection
• Overvoltage (Temperature Dependent)
• Overcharge Current
• Ideal Diode Discharge During Charge Fault
• Charging Prescriptions (JEITA)
• Zero-Volt Charging Option
• Undervoltage + SmartEmpty
● Nonvolatile Memory for Stand-Alone Operation
• History Logging, User Data (122 Bytes)
● Low Quiescent Current
• FETs Enabled: 24µA Active, 18µA Hibernate
• FETs Disabled: 7µA Ship, 0.5µA DeepShip,
● Pushbutton Wakeup—Eliminates System
Consumption Until Button Press
● ModelGauge m5 EZ Algorithm
• Percent, Capacity,Time-to-Empty/Full, Age
• Cycle+™ Age Forecast
● Dynamic Power—Estimates Power Capability
● Precision Measurement Without Calibration
• Current, Voltage, Power, Time, Cycles
• Die Temperature/Thermistor
Ordering Information appears at end of datasheet.
Simple Fuel Gauge with Protector Circuit Diagram
OPTIONAL (MAX173x1 ONLY)
GND CSP EP
ModelGauge and Cycle+ are trademarks of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
1-Wire is a registered trademark of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
19-100463; Rev 3; 5/19