High-Performance PMIC for SAMA5DX/SAM9X6 MPUs
• Input Voltage: 2.7V to 5.5V
• Four 1A Output Current Buck Channels with
100% Maximum Duty Cycle Capability
• 2 MHz Buck Channels PWM Operation
• Two Auxiliary 300 mA Low-Dropout Linear
• ±1% Voltage Accuracy for DDR (Buck2 Output),
Core (Buck3 Output) and CPU (Buck4 Output)
• Pin-Selectable Output Voltages for Buck2:
1.2V, 1.35V, 1.8V
• MPU-Specific Built-in Default Channel
Sequencing and nRSTO Assertion Delay
• Support of Hibernate, Low-Power and
High-Performance Modes with DVS
• Push Button Long Press Time-out Function
• 1 MHz I2C Interface for Programming and
• Low Noise, Forced PWM (FPWM) and Low IQ,
Light Load, High-Efficiency Mode Available
• I2C-Selectable Displacement (±16.5%) of PWM
• Leakage-Free Interfacing to MPU in Any
Operating Condition through Optimized
• Less than 300 µA Low-Power Mode Typical
Quiescent Current Bucks and LDO1 On, No Load
• 10 µA Maximum Shutdown Current (VIN = 4.5V,
TJ = +105°C)
• Cost and Size-Optimized BOM
• Thermal Shutdown and Current Limit Protection
• User-Programmable Overcurrent Fault Response
• 32-Pin 5 mm × 5 mm VQFN Package
• -40°C to +125°C Junction Temperature Range
• High-Performance MPUs Power Supply Solutions
• µC/µP, FPGA and DSP Power
The MCP16502 is an optimally integrated PMIC,
compatible with Microchip’s EMPUs (Embedded Micro-
processor Units), requiring Dynamic Voltage Scaling
(DVS) with the use of High-Performance mode (HPM).
It is compatible with SAMA5DX and SAM9X6 MPUs,
which are supported by dedicated device variants that
optimize the solution BOM.
The MCP16502 integrates four DC-DC Buck regulators
and two auxiliary LDOs, and provides a comprehensive
interface to the MPU, which includes an interrupt flag
and a 1 MHz I2C interface.
All Buck channels can support loads up to 1A and are
100% duty cycle-capable.
Two 300 mA LDOs are provided such that sensitive
analog loads can be supported.
The DDR memory voltage (Buck2 output) is selectable
by means of a 3-state input pin. This method allows
greater precision in the output voltage setting by elimi-
nating inaccuracies due to external feedback resistors,
while minimizing external component count. The
voltage selection set allows easy migration across
different generations of memory.
The default power channel sequencing is built-in
according to the requirements of the MPU. A dedicated
pin (LPM) facilitates the transition to Low-Power modes
and the implementation of Backup mode with DDR in
self-refresh (Hibernate mode).
The MCP16502 features a low no-load operational
quiescent current and it draws less than 10 µA in full
Active discharge resistors are provided on each output.
All Buck channels support safe start-up into pre-biased
The MCP16502 is available in a 32-pin 5 mm x 5 mm
VQFN package with an operating junction temperature
range from -40°C to +125°C.
2019 Microchip Technology Inc.