150 mA Ultra-Low Quiescent Current, Capacitorless LDO Regulator
• Low Quiescent Current: 600 nA
• Input Voltage Range: 1.4V to 6.0V
• Standard Output Voltages: 1.2V, 1.8V, 1.9V, 2.2V,
2.5V, 3.0V, 3.3V, 5.0V
• Output Accuracy: ±20 mV for 1.2V and 1.8V
options and ±1% for VR > 2.0V
• Temperature Stability: ±50 ppm/°C
• Maximum Output Current: 150 mA;
• Low ON Resistance: 3.3 @ VR = 3.0V
• Standby Current: 10 nA
• Protection Circuits: Current Limiter, Short Circuit,
• SHDN Pin Function: ON/OFF Logic = Enable
• COUT Discharge Circuit when SHDN Function is
• Output Capacitor: Low Equivalent Series
Resistance (ESR) Ceramic, Capacitorless
• Operating Temperature: -40°C – +85°C
• Available Packages:
- 4-Lead 1 x 1 mm UQFN
- 5-Lead SOT-23
• Environmentally Friendly: EU RoHS Compliant,
• Energy Harvesting
• Long-Life, Battery-Powered Applications
• Portable Electronics
• Ultra-Low Consumption “Green” Products
• Mobile Devices/Terminals
• Wireless LAN
• Modules (Wireless, Cameras)
• AN765, Using Microchip’s Micropower LDOs
(DS00765), Microchip Technology Inc.
• AN766, Pin-Compatible CMOS Upgrades to
Bipolar LDOs (DS00766),
Microchip Technology Inc.
• AN792, A Method to Determine How Much Power
a SOT23 Can Dissipate in an Application
(DS00792), Microchip Technology Inc.
The MCP1711 is a highly accurate CMOS low dropout
(LDO) voltage regulator that can deliver up to 150 mA
of current while consuming only 0.6 µA of quiescent
current (typical). The input operating range is specified
from 1.4V to 6.0V, making it an ideal choice for mobile
applications and one-cell Li-Ion powered applications.
The MCP1711 is capable of delivering 150 mA output
current with only 0.32V (typical) for VR = 5.0V, and
1.41V (typical) for VR = 1.2V of input-to-output voltages
differential. The output voltage accuracy of the
MCP1711 is typically ± 0.02V for VR < 2.0V and ±1% for
VR > 2.0V at +25°C. The temperature stability is
approximately ±50 ppm/°C. Line regulation is
±0.01%/V typical at +25°C.
The output voltages available for the MCP1711 range
from 1.2V to 5.0V. The LDO output is stable even if an
output capacitor is not connected, due to an excellent
internal phase compensation. However, for better tran-
sient responses, the output capacitor should be added.
The MCP1711 is compatible with low ESR ceramic
Overcurrent limit and short-circuit protection embed-
ded into the device provide a robust solution for any
The MCP1711 has a true current foldback feature.
When the load decreases beyond the MCP1711 load
rating, the output current and output voltage will fold-
back toward 80 mA (typical) at approximately 0V out-
put. When the load impedance increases and returns to
the rated load, the MCP1711 will follow the same fold-
back curve as the device comes out of current
If the device is in Shutdown mode, by inputting a
low-level signal to the SHDN pin, the current consump-
tion is reduced to less than 0.1 µA (typically 0.01 µA).
In Shutdown mode, if the output capacitor is used, it will
be discharged via the internal dedicated switch and, as
a result, the output voltage quickly returns to 0V.
The package options for the MCP1711 are the 4-lead
1 x 1 mm UQFN and the 5-lead SOT-23, which makes
the device ideal for small and compact applications.
2015 Microchip Technology Inc.