Note the following details of the code protection feature on PICmicro® MCUs.
• The PICmicro family meets the specifications contained in the Microchip Data Sheet.
• Microchip believes that its family of PICmicro microcontrollers is one of the most secure products of its kind on the market today,
when used in the intended manner and under normal conditions.
• There are dishonest and possibly illegal methods used to breach the code protection feature. All of these methods, to our knowl-
edge, require using the PICmicro microcontroller in a manner outside the operating specifications contained in the data sheet.
The person doing so may be engaged in theft of intellectual property.
• Microchip is willing to work with the customer who is concerned about the integrity of their code.
• Neither Microchip nor any other semiconductor manufacturer can guarantee the security of their code. Code protection does not
mean that we are guaranteeing the product as “unbreakable”.
• Code protection is constantly evolving. We at Microchip are committed to continuously improving the code protection features of
If you have any further questions about this matter, please contact the local sales office nearest to you.
Information contained in this publication regarding device
applications and the like is intended through suggestion only
and may be superseded by updates. It is your responsibility to
ensure that your application meets with your specifications.
No representation or warranty is given and no liability is
assumed by Microchip Technology Incorporated with respect
to the accuracy or use of such information, or infringement of
patents or other intellectual property rights arising from such
use or otherwise. Use of Microchip’s products as critical com-
ponents in life support systems is not authorized except with
express written approval by Microchip. No licenses are con-
veyed, implicitly or otherwise, under any intellectual property
The Microchip name and logo, the Microchip logo, PIC, PICmicro,
PICMASTER, PICSTART, PRO MATE, KEELOQ, SEEVAL,
MPLAB and The Embedded Control Solutions Company are reg-
istered trademarks of Microchip Technology Incorporated in the
U.S.A. and other countries.
Total Endurance, ICSP, In-Circuit Serial Programming, Filter-
Lab, MXDEV, microID, FlexROM, fuzzyLAB, MPASM,
MPLINK, MPLIB, PICC, PICDEM, PICDEM.net, ICEPIC,
Migratable Memory, FanSense, ECONOMONITOR, Select
Mode and microPort are trademarks of Microchip Technology
Incorporated in the U.S.A.
Serialized Quick Term Programming (SQTP) is a service mark
of Microchip Technology Incorporated in the U.S.A.
All other trademarks mentioned herein are property of their
© 2001, Microchip Technology Incorporated, Printed in the
U.S.A., All Rights Reserved.
Printed on recycled paper.
DS41171A - page ii
Microchip received QS-9000 quality system
certification for its worldwide headquarters,
design and wafer fabrication facilities in
Chandler and Tempe, Arizona in July 1999. The
Company’s quality system processes and
procedures are QS-9000 compliant for its
PICmicro® 8-bit MCUs, KEELOQ® code hopping
devices, Serial EEPROMs and microperipheral
products. In addition, Microchip’s quality
system for the design and manufacture of
development systems is ISO 9001 certified.
2001 Microchip Technology Inc.