This document contains information on a new product. The parametric information, although not
fully characterized, is the result of testing initial devices.
3.3 Volt Laser Driver IC for Applications to 3 Gbps Data Sheet
The M02066 is a highly integrated, programmable laser driver intended for SONET/SDH applications with FEC to 3
Gbps. Using differential PECL data and clock inputs, the M02066 supplies the bias and modulation current
required to drive an edge-emitting laser. The modulation output can be DC-coupled to the laser diode, giving a
significant power saving over AC-coupled operation.
The M02066 includes automatic power control to maintain a constant average laser output power over temperature
and life. In addition, the modulation current can be temperature compensated to minimize variation in extinction
ratio over temperature.
Output flags indicate laser end of life as well as failure of the APC circuitry to maintain average output power.
General Note: This product was previously called the CX02066.
• High speed operation; suitable for applications to 3 Gbps.
• Short reach and Metro SONET/SDH
• Typical rise/fall times of 90 ps.
• Datacomms Modules
• DC or AC coupled modulation drive.
• Add/Drop Multiplexers
• Differential data and clock inputs to minimize pattern dependent • Digital Cross Connects
• Independently Programmable Laser Bias and Modulation currents.
• Bias current to 100 mA and modulation current to 85 mA at VCC =
• Automatic Laser Power Control, with programmable temperature
compensation and ‘Slow-Start’.
• Bias and modulation current monitor
• Operates with +3.3 Volt supply
• Functionally compatible with MAX 3869
• The M02066-21 and M02066-51 are available in a BCC+24
package. The M02066-82 is available in a TQFP32 package.
• Available in RoHS compliant packages
Functional Block Diagram
M ODM O N
IB I A S
IB IA S
D etec t
NOTE: BCC+24 Package
PD and MPCSET are common on Pin 13
BIASMON and MODMON are common on Pin 4
Preliminary Information / Mindspeed Proprietary and Confidential