Rev. 0, 3/2002
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
This document provides an overview of the MCF5249 ColdFire® processor and general
descriptions of MCF5249 features and modules.
The MCF5249 was designed as a system controller/decoder for MP3 music players, especially
portable MP3 CD players. The 32-bit ColdFire core with Enhanced Multiply Accumulate
(EMAC) unit provides optimum performance and code density for the combination of control
code and signal processing required for MP3 decode, ﬁle management, and system control.
Low power features include a hardwired CD ROM decoder, advanced 0.18um CMOS process
technology, 1.8V core power supply, and on-chip 96 Kbyte SRAM. MP3 decode requires less
than 20 MHz CPU bandwidth and runs in on-chip SRAM with external access only for data
input and output.
The MCF5249 is also an excellent general purpose system controller with over 125
Dhrystone 2.1 MIPS @ 140 MHz performance at a very competitive price. The integrated
peripherals and EMAC allow the MCF5249 to replace both the microcontroller and the DSP
in certain applications. Most peripheral pins can also be remapped as general-purpose I/O
1.1 MCF5249 Features: Introduction
The MCF5249 integrated microprocessor combines a Version 2 ColdFire® processor core
operating at 140 MHz with the following modules:
• DMA controller with 4 DMA channels
• Integrated Enhanced Multiply-accumulate Unit (EMAC)
• 8-Kbyte Direct Mapped Instruction Cache
• 96-Kbyte SRAM (a 64K and 32K bank)
• Operates from external crystal oscillator
• Supports 16-bit wide SDRAM memories
• Serial Audio Interface which supports IIS and EIAJ audio protocols
• Digital audio transmitter and two receivers compliant with IEC958 audio protocol
• CD-ROM and CD-ROM XA block decoding and encoding function
• Two UARTs
• Queued Serial Peripheral Interface (QSPI) (Master Only)
• Two timers
For More Information On This Product,
Go to: www.freescale.com