Data Sheet: Advance Information
Document Number: MC12XSFD3
Rev. 1.0, 8/2016
Penta 40 mOhm high-side switch
The 12XSF is the latest SMARTMOS achievement in DC motors and lighting
drivers. It belongs to an expanding family that helps to control and diagnose
incandescent lamps and light-emitting diodes (LEDs) with enhanced precision.
It combines flexibility through daisy-chainable SPI 5.0 MHz, extended digital
and analog feedbacks, safety and robustness.
Output edge shaping helps to improve electromagnetic performance. To avoid
shutting off the device upon inrush current, while still being able to closely track
the load current, a dynamic overcurrent threshold profile is featured. Current of
each channel can be sensed with a programmable sensing ratio. Whenever
communication with the external microcontroller is lost, the device enters a Fail
operation mode, but remains operational, controllable, and protected.
This new generation of high-side switch products family facilitates ECU design
thanks to compatible MCU software and PCB foot print for each device variant.
This family is in an End of Life Vehicles directive compliant package.
• Penta 40 mΩ high-side switches with high transient current capability
• 16-bit 5.0 MHz SPI control of overcurrent profiles, channel control
including PWM duty cycles, output-ON and -OFF OpenLoad detections,
thermal shutdown and prewarning, and fault reporting
• Output current monitoring with programmable synchronization signal and
supply voltage feedback
• Limp Home mode
• External smart power switch control
• Operating voltage is 7.0 to 18 V with sleep current < 5.0 µA, extended
mode from 6.0 to 28 V
• -16 V reverse polarity and ground disconnect protections
• Compatible PCB foot print and SPI software driver among the family
ENHANCED PENTA HIGH-SIDE SWITCH
EK SUFFIX (PB-FREE)
• Low-voltage exterior lighting
• Incandescent bulbs (up to 21 W)
• Light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
• Low-voltage DC motors
DC Motor M
IN VPWR OUT
Figure 1. Penta 40 mΩ high-side simplified application diagram
* This document contains certain information on a new product.
Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice.
© 2016 NXP B.V.