System basis chip (SBC) with low
speed fault tolerant CAN interface
Document Number: MC33889
Rev. 15.0, 8/2016
The 33889 is an SBC having a fully protected, fixed 5.0 V low drop-out
regulator, with current limit, overtemperature prewarning and reset. An SBC
device is a monolithic IC combining many functions repeatedly found in
standard microcontroller-based systems, e.g., protection, diagnostics,
communication, power, etc.
An output drive with sense input is also provided to implement a second 5.0 V
regulator using an external PNP. The 33889 has Normal, Standby, Stop and
Sleep modes; an internally switched high-side power supply output with two
wake-up inputs; programmable timeout or window watchdog, Interrupt, Reset,
serial peripheral interface (SPI) input control, and a low-speed fault tolerant
CAN transceiver, compatible with CAN 2.0 A and B protocols for module-to-
module communications. The combination is an economical solution for power
management, high-speed communication, and control in MCU-based systems.
This device is powered by SMARTMOS technology.
• VDD1: 5.0 V low drop voltage regulator, current limitation, overtemperature
detection, monitoring and reset function with total current capability 200 mA
• V2: tracking function of VDD1 regulator; control circuitry for external bipolar
ballast transistor for high flexibility in choice of peripheral voltage and current
• Four operational modes
• Low standby current consumption in Stop and Sleep modes
• Built-in low speed 125 kbps fault tolerant CAN physical interface.
• External high voltage wake-up input, associated with HS1 VBAT switch
• 150 mA output current capability for HS1 VBAT switch allowing drive of
external switches pull-up resistors or relays
SYSTEM BASIS CHIP
EG SUFFIX (PB-FREE)
(Add R2 Suffix for
Tape and Reel)
-40 to 125 °C
*Recommended for new designs
Local Module Supply
Figure 1. 33889 simplified application diagram
© 2016 NXP B.V.