Dual Intelligent High-current
Self-protected Silicon High-side
Switch (4.0 mOhm
Document Number: MC33984
Rev. 16.0, 9/2014
The 33984 is a dual self-protected 4.0 mOhm silicon switch used to replace
electromechanical relays, fuses, and discrete devices in power management
applications. The 33984 is designed for harsh environments, and it includes
self-recovery features. The device is suitable for loads with high inrush current,
as well as motors and all types of resistive and inductive loads.
Programming, control, and diagnostics are implemented via the serial
peripheral interface (SPI). A dedicated parallel input is available for alternate
and pulse-width modulation (PWM) control of each output. SPI-programmable
fault trip thresholds allow the device to be adjusted for optimal performance in
The 33984 is packaged in a power-enhanced 12 mm x 12 mm nonleaded
PQFN package with exposed tabs.
• Dual 4.0 m max. high-side switch with parallel input or SPI control
• 6.0 V to 27 V operating voltage with standby currents < 5.0 A
• Output current monitoring with two SPI-selectable current ratios
• SPI control of overcurrent limit, overcurrent fault blanking time, output OFF
open load detection, output ON/OFF control, watchdog timeout, slew-rates,
and fault status reporting
• SPI status reporting of overcurrent, open and shorted loads,
overtemperature, undervoltage and overvoltage shutdown, fail-safe pin
status, and program status
• Enhanced -16 V reverse polarity VPWR protection
• DC motor or solenoid
• Resistive or inductive loads
• Low-voltage lighting
Figure 1. 33984 Simplified Application Diagram
* This document contains certain information on a new product.
Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2007-2014. All rights reserved.