16 Output Switch with SPI
The 33996 is a 16-output low side switch with a 24-bit serial input
control. It is designed for a variety of applications including inductive,
incandescent, and LED loads. The Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI)
provides both input control and diagnostic readout. A Pulse Width
Modulation (PWM) control input is provided for pulse width
modulation of multiple outputs at the same duty cycle. A dedicated
reset input provides the ability to clear all internal registers and turn
all outputs off.
The 33996 directly interfaces with micro controllers and is
compatible with both 3.3 and 5.0V CMOS logic levels. The 33996, in
effect, serves as a bus expander and buffer with fault management
features that reduce the MCU’s fault management burden.
• Designed to operate 5.0V < VPWR < 27V
• 24 Bit SPI for control and fault reporting, 3.3/5.0V compatible
• Outputs are current limited (0.9 to 2.5A) to drive incandescent
• Output voltage clamp of +50V during inductive switching
• On/Off control of open load detect current (LED application)
• VPWR standby current < 10μA
• RDS(ON) of 0.55Ω at 25°C typical
• Independent over-temperature protection
• Output selectable for PWM control
• Output ON short-to-VBAT and off short-to-ground/open detection
• Pb-free packaging designated by suffix code EK
Document Number: MC33996
Rev. 8.0, 8/2008
LOW SIDE SWITCH
EK SUFFIX (PB-FREE)
32-PIN SOICW EXPOSED PAD
-40°C to 125°C 32 SOICW-EP
3.3 V/5.0 V
Figure 1. 33996 Simplified Application Diagram
* This document contains certain information on a new product.
Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2007-2008. All rights reserved.