• High-end portable media players (PMP) with HD video capability
• Portable navigation devices (PND)
The flexibility of the i.MX53xD architecture allows for its use in a wide variety of applications. As the
heart of the application chipset, the i.MX53xD processor provides all the interfaces for connecting
peripherals, such as WLAN, Bluetooth™, GPS, hard drive, camera sensors, and dual displays.
Features of the i.MX53xD processor include the following:
• Applications processor—The i.MX53xD processors boost the capabilities of high-tier portable
applications by satisfying the ever increasing MIPS needs of operating systems and games.
Freescale’s Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS) provides significant power
reduction, allowing the device to run at lower voltage and frequency with sufficient MIPS for tasks
such as audio decode.
• Multilevel memory system—The multilevel memory system of the i.MX53xD is based on the L1
instruction and data caches, L2 cache, internal and external memory. The i.MX53xD supports
many types of external memory devices, including DDR2, low voltage DDR2, LPDDR2, DDR3,
NOR Flash, PSRAM, cellular RAM, NAND Flash (MLC and SLC), OneNAND™, and managed
NAND including eMMC up to rev 4.4.
• Smart speed technology—The i.MX53xD device has power management throughout the IC that
enables the rich suite of multimedia features and peripherals to consume minimum power in both
active and various low power modes. Smart speed technology enables the designer to deliver a
feature-rich product requiring levels of power far lower than industry expectations.
• Multimedia powerhouse—The multimedia performance of the i.MX53xD processor ARM core is
boosted by a multilevel cache system, Neon (including advanced SIMD, 32-bit single-precision
floating point support) and vector floating point coprocessors. The system is further enhanced by
a multi-standard hardware video codec, autonomous image processing unit (IPU), SD and HD720p
triple video (TV) encoder with triple video DAC, and a programmable smart DMA (SDMA)
• Powerful graphics acceleration—Graphics is the key to mobile game, navigation, web browsing,
and other applications. The i.MX53xD processors provide two independent, integrated graphics
processing units: an OpenGL® ES 2.0 3D graphics accelerator (33 Mtri/s, 200 Mpix/s, and
800 Mpix/s z-plane performance) and an OpenVG™ 1.1 2D graphics accelerator (200 Mpix/s).
• Interface flexibility—The i.MX53xD processor supports connection to a variety of interfaces,
including LCD controller for two displays and CMOS sensor interface, high-speed USB on-the-go
with PHY, plus three high-speed USB hosts, multiple expansion card ports (high-speed
MMC/SDIO host and others), 10/100 Ethernet controller, and a variety of other popular interfaces
(PATA, UART, I2C, and I2S serial audio, among others).
• Advanced security—The i.MX53xD processors deliver hardware-enabled security features that
enable secure e-commerce, digital rights management (DRM), information encryption, secure
boot, and secure software downloads. For detailed information about the i.MX53xD security
features contact a Freescale representative.
The i.MX53xD application processor is a follow-on to the i.MX51, with improved performance, power
efficiency, and multimedia capabilities.
i.MX53xD Applications Processors for Consumer Products, Rev. 7