Document Number: MPC17550
Rev. 2.0, 7/2006
Quad H-Bridge Micromotor
Driver with DC/DC Boost
The 17550 is a monolithic quad H-Bridge power IC ideal for portable
electronic applications containing tiny bipolar stepper motors and/or
brush DC-motors powered by two-to-four cell NiCd/NiMH batteries.
The 17550 operates from 2.5 V to 5.5 V, with independent control of
each H-Bridge via parallel 3.0 V or 5.0 V logic-compatible I/O. The
device features an on-board DC / DC boost converter that allows motor
operation all the way down to 1.6 V (the boost converter supplies the
gate-drive voltage for each of the four independent H-bridge output
stages). Each output bridge has its own gate-drive and logic circuitry
with built-in shoot-through current protection.
The 17550 has four operating modes: Forward, Reverse, Brake,
and Tri-Stated (High Impedance). The 17550 has a low total RDS(ON)
of 1.2 Ω max @ 25°C. In addition, it can be set into a very low current-
drain standby mode.
The H-Bridge outputs can be independently PWM’ed at up to
200 kHz for speed/torque and current control. The 17550 can
efficiently drive many types of micromotors owing to its low output
resistance and high output slew rates.
• Low Total RDS(ON) 0.7 Ω (Typ), 1.2 Ω (Max) @ 25°C
• Output Current 700 mA (Continuous per Output)
• Shoot-Through Current Protection Circuit
• PWM Control Input Frequency up to 200 kHz
• Built-In DC/DC Boost Converter
• Low Power Consumption Standby Mode
• Undervoltage Detection and Shutdown Circuit
• Pb-Free Packaging Designated by Suffix Code EV
H-BRIDGE MOTOR DRIVER
EV SUFFIX (Pb-FREE)
MPC17550EV/EL -10°C to 60°C
Figure 1. 17550 Simplified Application Diagram
* This document contains certain information on a new product.
Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2006. All rights reserved.