USB Type-C CC and SBU Protection IC
Rev. 1.3 — 22 August 2019
Product data sheet
1 General description
The NX20P0407 is a single-chip USB Type-C port protection device that provides 28V
short-to-VBUS overvoltage protection to CC1/CC2 and SBU1/SBU2 pins.
USB Type-C allows VBUS voltage to increase up to 20V through Power delivery protocol.
CC1/2 and SBU1/2 pins can be shorted to VBUS due to mechanical twisting and sliding
of the connector since Type-C connector contact pins are 25% closer to each other than
a micro USB connector. Moisture or fine dust may also cause the 20V VBUS pin to be
shorted to adjacent pins.
NX20P0407 enables CC and SBU pins to be more robust in even abnormal conditions.
NX20P0407 is 28V DC tolerant on CON_CC1, CON_CC2, CON_SBU1 and CON_SBU2
pins in connector side and quickly disconnects switches if the voltage is above
overvoltage threshold, protecting CC1, CC2, SBU1 and SBU2 in system side from high
NX20P0407 integrates IEC 61000-4-2 ESD protection on CON_CC1 and CON_CC2,
+15KV air discharge and +8KV contact discharge, which helps to reduce external BOM
cost. NX20P0407 CON_CC1/2 pins are designed to be protected from surges up to +/-
2 Features and benefits
• USB Type C CC1/2 and SBU1/2 short protection to VBUS
– CON_CC1 / CON_CC2 : 28VDC
– CON_SBU1 / CON_SBU2 : 28VDC
• Rd circuit in CON_CC1/CON_CC2 in dead battery
• Low RDSon switch
– CC switch : 160mΩ
– SBU switch : 3.6Ω
• Robust ESD immunity for CON_CC1/2
– IEC 61000-4-2 Contact discharge: 8KV
– IEC 61000-4-2 Air discharge: 15KV
• +/- 35V surge protection on CON_CC1/2
• Low SYS leakage current : 32μA
• CC1/2 leakage current : < 1μA
• Fast OVP turn off time : 60ns