• High-end mobile Internet devices (MID)
• High-end PDAs
• High-end portable media players (PMP) with HD video capability
• Gaming consoles
• Portable navigation devices (PND)
The i.MX 6Dual/6Quad processors offers numerous advanced features, such as:
• Applications processors—The processors enhance the capabilities of high-tier portable
applications by fulfilling the ever increasing MIPS needs of operating systems and games. The
Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS) provides significant power reduction, allowing
the device to run at lower voltage and frequency with sufficient MIPS for tasks such as audio
• Multilevel memory system—The multilevel memory system of each processor is based on the L1
instruction and data caches, L2 cache, and internal and external memory. The processors support
many types of external memory devices, including DDR3, DDR3L, LPDDR2, NOR Flash,
PSRAM, cellular RAM, NAND Flash (MLC and SLC), OneNAND™, and managed NAND,
including eMMC up to rev 4.4/4.41.
• Smart speed technology—The processors have power management throughout the device that
enables the rich suite of multimedia features and peripherals to consume minimum power in both
active and various low power modes. Smart speed technology enables the designer to deliver a
feature-rich product, requiring levels of power far lower than industry expectations.
• Dynamic voltage and frequency scaling—The processors improve the power efficiency of devices
by scaling the voltage and frequency to optimize performance.
• Multimedia powerhouse—The multimedia performance of each processor is enhanced by a
multilevel cache system, Neon® MPE (Media Processor Engine) co-processor, a multi-standard
hardware video codec, 2 autonomous and independent image processing units (IPU), and a
programmable smart DMA (SDMA) controller.
• Powerful graphics acceleration—Each processor provides three independent, integrated graphics
processing units: an OpenGL® ES 2.0 3D graphics accelerator with four shaders (up to 200 MTri/s
and OpenCL support), 2D graphics accelerator, and dedicated OpenVG™ 1.1 accelerator.
• Interface flexibility—Each processor supports connections to a variety of interfaces: LCD
controller for up to four displays (including parallel display, HDMI1.4, MIPI display, and LVDS
display), dual CMOS sensor interface (parallel or through MIPI), high-speed USB on-the-go with
PHY, high-speed USB host with PHY, multiple expansion card ports (high-speed MMC/SDIO host
and other), 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet controller, and a variety of other popular interfaces
(such as UART, I2C, and I2S serial audio, SATA-II, and PCIe-II).
• Advanced security—The processors deliver hardware-enabled security features that enable secure
e-commerce, digital rights management (DRM), information encryption, secure boot, and secure
software downloads. The security features are discussed in detail in the i.MX 6Dual/6Quad
security reference manual (IMX6DQ6SDLSRM).
• Integrated power management—The processors integrate linear regulators and internally generate
voltage levels for different domains. This significantly simplifies system power management
i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Applications Processors for Consumer Products, Rev. 6, 11/2018