CMOS 16-bit communications microcontroller
The XA-SCC device is a member of Philips’ XA (eXtended
Architecture) family of high performance 16-bit single-chip
The XA-SCC includes a complete onboard DRAM controller capable
of supporting up to 32MegaBytes of DRAM.
The XA-SCC device combines many powerful communications
oriented peripherals on one chip. 4 Full Function SCC’s, 8 DMA
channels (2 per SCC), hardware autobaud up to 921.6Kbps, IDL
TDM interface, two timers/counters, 1 watchdog timer, and multiple
general purpose I/O ports. It is suited for many high performance
embedded communications functions, including ISDN terminal
adaptors and Asynchronous Muxes.
SPECIFIC FEATURES OF THE XA-SCC
• 3.3V to 5.5V operation to 30MHz over the industrial temperature
range, available in 100 pin LQFP package.
• 4 onboard SCC’s for 2B+D plus Asynch port, or any combination
of 4 sync/async ports. Industry standard IDL and SCP interfaces
for glueless connection to U-Chip or S/T chip. Sync data rates to
4Mbps. Asynch data rates to 921.6Kbps with/without autobaud.
• Complete onboard DRAM controller supports 5 banks of up to
8MBytes each. Interfaces without glue chips to most industry
• Memory controller also generates 6 chip selects to support
SRAM, ROM, Flash, EPROM, peripheral chips, etc. without
• Supports off-chip addressing up to 32 MB (2 x 2**24 address
spaces) in Harvard architecture, or 16MB in unified memory
• A clock output reference “ClkOut” is added to simplify external bus
• High performance 8-channel DMA Controller offloads the CPU for
moving data to/from SCC’s and memory.
• Two standard counter/timers with enhanced features (same as
XA-G3 T0, T1). Both timers have a toggle output capability.
• Watchdog timer.
• Seven standard software interrupts, plus four High Priority
Software Interrupts, plus 7 levels of Hardware Event Interrupts.
• Active low reset output pin indicates all internal reset occurrences
(watchdog reset and the RESET instruction). A reset source
register allows program determination of the cause of the most
• 32 General Purpose I/O pins, each with 4 programmable output
• Power saving operating modes: Idle and Power-Down. Wake-Up
from power-down via an external interrupt is supported.
TEMPERATURE RANGE °C AND PACKAGE
–40 to +85, 100-pin Low Profile Quad Flat Pkg. (LQFP)
1. K=30MHz, F = (–40 to +85 °C), BE = LQFP
PACKAGE DRAWING NUMBER
1999 Mar 29