Highly Integrated DC-DC Converter ICs for
Power over Ethernet & Telecom Applications
Highly Integrated Solution
• Eliminates up to 50 external components–saves space, cost
• Integrates 220 V high frequency MOSFET, PWM control
• Lower cost plastic DIP surface mount (G package) and
through-hole (P package) options for designs ≤35 W
• Thermally efficient TO-263-7C (R package) option for high
Superior Performance and Flexibility
• Eliminates all external current sensing circuitry
• Built-in auto-restart for output overload/open loop protection
• Pin selectable 300/400 kHz fixed frequency
• Wide input (line) voltage range: 16-75 VDC
• Externally programmable current limit
• Source connected tab reduces EMI
• Line undervoltage (UV) detection: meets ETSI standards
• Line overvoltage (OV) shutdown protection
• UV/OV limits gate drive voltage for synchronous rectification
• Fully integrated soft-start for minimum stress/overshoot
• Supports forward or flyback topology
• Cycle skipping: regulation to zero load without pre-load
• Hysteretic thermal shutdown for automatic fault recovery
• RoHS compliant P and G package options
EcoSmart™– Energy Efficient
• Extremely low consumption at no-load
• Cycle skipping at light load for high standby efficiency
• PoE applications, VoIP phones, WLAN, security cameras
• Telco central office equipment: xDSL, ISDN, PABX
• Distributed power architectures (24 V/48 V bus)
• Industrial controls
The DPA-Switch™ IC family is a highly integrated solution for
DC-DC conversion applications with 16‑75 VDC input.
DPA-Switch uses the same proven topology as TOPSwitch™,
cost effectively integrating a power MOSFET, PWM control, fault
protection and other control circuitry onto a single CMOS chip.
High performance features are enabled with three user
configurable pins. Hysteretic thermal shutdown is also provided.
In addition, all critical parameters (i.e. current limit, frequency,
PWM gain) have tight temperature and absolute tolerance, to
simplify design and reduce system cost.
Figure 1. Typical Forward Converter Application.
Output Power Table
36-75 VDC Input Range (Forward)2
Dissipation3 0.5 W 1 W 2.5 W 4 W
6 W Power
7.5 W 10 W
12 W 16 W
16 W 23 W 35 W
23 W 32 W 50 W 62 W
25 W 35 W 55 W 70 W
36-75 VDC Input Range (Flyback)2
Table 1. Output Power Table.
1. Maximum output power is limited by device internal current limit.
2. See Applications Considerations section for complete description of assump-
tions, and for output powers with other input voltage ranges.
3. For device dissipation of 1.5 W or below, use P or G packages. Device
dissipation above 1.5 W is possible with R package.
4. Packages: P: DIP-8, G: SMD-8, R: TO-263-7C. For lead-free package options,
see Part Ordering Information.
5. Available in R package only.
6. Due to higher switching losses, the DPA425 may not deliver additional power
compared to a smaller device.
7. Available in P and G package only.
8. DPA422 not recommended for new designs, use DPA423 instead.
This Product is Covered by Patents and/or Pending Patent Applications.