Energy-Efficient, Off-line Switcher with Accurate
Primary-side Constant-Voltage (CV) Control
Dramatically Simplifies CV Converters
• Eliminates optocoupler and all secondary CV control circuitry
• Eliminates bias winding supply – IC is self biasing
Advanced Performance Features
• Compensates for external component temperature variations
• Very tight IC parameter tolerances using proprietary trimming
• Continuous and/or discontinuous mode operation for design
• Frequency jittering greatly reduces EMI filter cost
• Even tighter output tolerances achievable with external resistor
Advanced Protection/Safety Features
• Auto-restart protection reduces delivered power by >95% for
output short-circuit and all control loop faults (open and shorted
• Hysteretic thermal shutdown – automatic recovery reduces power
supply returns from the field
• Meets HV creepage requirements between Drain and all other pins,
both on the PCB and at the package
EcoSmart™– Energy Efficient
• No-load consumption <200 mW at 230 VAC and down to below
70 mW with optional external bias
• Easily meets all global energy efficiency regulations with no added
• ON/OFF control provides constant efficiency down to very light
loads – ideal for mandatory EISA and ENERGY STAR 2.0 regulations
• No primary or secondary current sense resistors – maximizes
• Halogen free and RoHS compliant package
• Standby and auxiliary supplies
• Home appliances, white goods and consumer electronics
• Industrial controls
The LinkSwitchTM-CV dramatically simplifies low power, constant voltage
(CV) converter design through a revolutionary control technique which
eliminates the need for both an optocoupler and secondary CV control
circuitry while providing very tight output voltage regulation. The
combination of proprietary IC trimming and E-Shield™ transformer
construction techniques enables Clampless™ designs with the
LinkSwitch-CV provides excellent cross-regulation for multiple-output
ﬂyback applications such as DVDs and STBs. A 725 V power MOSFET
and ON/OFF control state machine, self-biasing, frequency jittering,
cycle-by-cycle current limit, and hysteretic thermal shutdown circuitry
are all incorporated onto one IC.
(a) Typical Application Schematic
(b) Output Characteristic
Figure 1. Typical Application Schematic (a) and Output Characteristic Envelope
(b). *Optional with LNK623-624PG/DG. (see Key Application Consider-
ations section for clamp and other external circuit design considerations).
Output Power Table
230 VAC ±15%
7 W 11 W
Table 1. Output Power Table. Based on 5 V Output.
1. Minimum continuous power in a typical non-ventilated enclosed adapter
measured at +50 °C ambient.
2. Maximum practical continuous power in an open frame design with adequate
heat sinking, measured at 50 °C ambient (see Key Application Considerations
section for more information).
3. Packages: P: PDIP-8C, D: SO-8C.
Figure 2. PDIP-8C and SO-8C Packages.
This Product is Covered by Patents and/or Pending Patent Applications.