This product is not recommended for new designs.
Enhanced, Energy Efficient, Low Power
TinySwitch-II Features Reduce System Cost
• Fully integrated auto-restart for short circuit and open loop fault
protection – saves external component costs
• Built-in circuitry practically eliminates audible noise with ordinary
• Programmable line undervoltage detect feature prevents power
on/off glitches – saves external components
• Frequency jittering dramatically reduces EMI (~10 dB)
– minimizes EMI filter component costs
• 132 kHz operation reduces transformer size – allows use of
EF12.6 or EE13 cores for low cost and small size
• Very tight tolerances and negligible temperature variation on key
parameters eases design and lowers cost
• Lowest component count switcher solution
• Expanded scalable device family for low system cost
Better Cost/Performance over RCC & Linears
• Lower system cost than RCC, discrete PWM and other
• Cost effective replacement for bulky regulated linears
• Simple ON/OFF control – no loop compensation needed
• No bias winding – simpler, lower cost transformer
• Simple design practically eliminates rework in manufacturing
EcoSmart™– Extremely Energy Efficient
• No load consumption <50 mW with bias winding and
<250 mW without bias winding at 265 VAC input
• Meets California Energy Commission (CEC), Energy Star, and
• Ideal for cell-phone charger and PC standby applications
High Performance at Low Cost
• High voltage powered – ideal for charger applications
• High bandwidth provides fast turn on with no overshoot
• Current limit operation rejects line frequency ripple
• Built-in current limit and thermal protection improves safety
TinySwitch™-II integrates a 700 V power MOSFET, oscillator,
high voltage switched current source, current limit and thermal
shutdown circuitry onto a monolithic device. The start-up and
operating power are derived directly from the voltage on the
DRAIN pin, eliminating the need for a bias winding and associated
circuitry. In addition, the TinySwitch-II devices incorporate
auto-restart, line undervoltage sense, and frequency jittering. An
innovative design minimizes audio frequency components in the
simple ON/OFF control scheme to practically eliminate audible
noise with standard taped/varnished transformer construction.
Figure 1. Typical Standby Application.
Output Power Table
230 VAC ± 15%
6 W 9.5 W
8 W 12 W
Table 1. Output Power Table.
1. Minimum continuous power in a typical non-ventilated enclosed adapter
measured at 50 °C ambient.
2. Minimum practical continuous power in an open frame design with adequate
heat sinking, measured at 50 °C ambient (See Key Applications
3. Packages: P: DIP-8B, G: SMD-8B. Please see Part Ordering Information.
The fully integrated auto-restart circuit safely limits output power
during fault conditions such as output short circuit or open loop,
reducing component count and secondary feedback circuitry
cost. An optional line sense resistor externally programs a line
undervoltage threshold, which eliminates power down glitches
caused by the slow discharge of input storage capacitors present
in applications such as standby supplies. The operating
frequency of 132 kHz is jittered to significantly reduce both the
quasi-peak and average EMI, minimizing filtering cost.
This Product is Covered by Patents and/or Pending Patent Applications.