1. GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The W523Axxx family are programmable speech synthesis ICs that utilize Winbond′s new high fidelity
voice synthesis algorithm to generate all types of voice effects with high sound quality.
The W523Axxx’s LOAD, JUMP, MOVE and INC commands and ten programmable registers provide
powerful user-programmable functions that make this chip suitable for an extremely wide range of
speech IC applications.
The W523Axxx family includes 14 kinds of part numbers with same function except for the voice
duration shown below:
Note: The voice duration is estimated by various sampling rate.
• Operating voltage range: 2.4 – 5.5 volts
• New high fidelity synthesis algorithm
• Either PWM mode or D/A converter mode can be selected for AUD output
• Provides 4 direct trigger inputs that can easily be extended to 24 matrix trigger inputs
• Two trigger input debounce times (50 mS or 400 uS) can be set
• Provides up to 2 LEDs and 5 STOP outputs
• Flexible functions programmable through the following:
− LD (Load), JP (Jump), MV (Move) and INC (Increase) commands
− Four general purpose registers: R0, R1, R2 and R3
− Six special purpose registers: EN0, EN1 (excludes W523A008 and W523A010), MODE0,
MODE1, STOP and PAGE
− Conditional instructions: @LAST, @TGn_HIGH or LOW, where, n = 1,2,5 or 6 for W523A012 ~
W523A120; n=1,2,3 or 4 for W523A008 and W523A010
− Speech equations
− END instruction
• Supports CPU interface operation
• Symbolic compiler supported
• Instruction cycle ≤ 400 µS typically
• Section control for
− Variable frequency: 4.8/6/8/12 KHz
− LED: ON/OFF
• Up to 256 voice groups can be used in single page mode; or extended to 2,048 voice groups in
multi page mode, such as 8-page, 16-page and 32-page.