SLVSBK4 – SEPTEMBER 2012
3.5-V TO 28-V INPUT VOLTAGE, 1.7-A OUTPUT CURRENT,
NON-SYNCHRONOUS STEP-DOWN REGULATOR WITH INTEGRATED MOSFET
Check for Samples: TPS5402
• 3.5-V to 28-V Wide Input Voltage Range
• Up to 1.7-A Maximum Continuous Output
• Pulse Skipping Mode to Achieve High Light
• High Light Load Efficiency
• Frequency Spread Spectrum to Reduce EMI
• Adjustable 50-kHz to 1.1-MHz Switching
Frequency Set by an External Resistor
(Leave pin ROSC floating. Set frequency to
120 kHz and ground connection to 70 kHz)
• Frequency Spread Spectrum to Ease EMI Issue
• Peak Current-Mode Control
• Cycle-by-Cycle Over Current Protection
• External Soft Start
• Available in SOIC8 Package
• 5-V, 9-V, 12-V and 24-V Distributed Power
• Consumer Applications Such as Home
Appliances, Set-Top Boxes, CPE Equipment,
LCD Displays, Peripherals, and Battery
• Industrial and Car Entertainment Power
The TPS5402 is a monolithic non-synchronous buck regulator with wide operating input voltage range from 3.5 V
to 28 V. Current mode control with internal slope compensation is implemented to reduce component count.
TPS5402 also features a light load pulse skipping mode, which allows for a power loss reduction from the input
power supply to the system at light loading.
The switching frequency of the converters can be set from 50 kHz to 1.1 MHz with an external resistor.
Frequency spread spectrum operation is introduced for EMI reduction.
A cycle-by-cycle current limit with frequency fold back protects the IC at over loading condition.
Please be aware that an important notice concerning availability, standard warranty, and use in critical applications of
Texas Instruments semiconductor products and disclaimers thereto appears at the end of this data sheet.
PRODUCTION DATA information is current as of publication date.
Products conform to specifications per the terms of the Texas
Instruments standard warranty. Production processing does not
necessarily include testing of all parameters.
Copyright © 2012, Texas Instruments Incorporated