SBAS472 – DECEMBER 2009
12-Bit, Nanopower, 4-Wire
Micro TOUCH SCREEN CONTROLLER with I2C™ Interface
Check for Samples: TSC2017
•234 4-Wire Touch Screen Interface
• Single 1.6V to 3.6V Supply/Reference
• Ratiometric Conversion
• Effective Throughput Rate:
– Up to 20kHz (8-Bit) or 10kHz (12-Bit)
• Preprocessing to Reduce Bus Activity
• I2C Interface Supports:
– Standard, Fast, and High-Speed Modes
• Simple, Command-Based User Interface:
– TSC2003/TSC2007 Compatible
– 8- or 12-Bit Resolution
• On-Chip Temperature Measurement
• Touch Pressure Measurement
• Digital Buffered PENIRQ
• On-Chip, Programmable PENIRQ Pull-Up
• Comprehensive Reset Schemes:
– Power-On, Software, and Hardware Resets
• Auto Power-Down Control
• Low Power (12-Bit):
– 39.31μA at 1.8V, Fast Mode, 8.2kHz Eq Rate
– 53.32μA at 2.7V, Fast Mode, 8.2kHz Eq Rate
• Enhanced ESD Protection for IEC Testing:
– ±8kV HBM
– ±1kV CDM
– ±25kV Air Gap Discharge
– ±15kV Contact Discharge
• 2.1 x 1.6 WCSP-12 Package
U.S. Patent NO. 6246394; other patents pending.
• Cellular Phones
• PDA, GPS, and Media Players
• Portable Instruments
• Point-of-Sale Terminals
• Multiscreen Touch Control Systems
The TSC2017 is a very low-power touch screen
controller designed to work with power-sensitive,
handheld applications that are based on an advanced
low-voltage processor. It works with a supply voltage
as low as 1.6V, which can be supplied by a
single-cell battery. It contains a complete, ultra-low
power, 12-bit, analog-to-digital (A/D) resistive touch
screen converter, including drivers and the control
logic to measure touch pressure.
In addition to these standard features, the TSC2017
offers preprocessing of the touch screen
measurements to reduce bus loading, thus reducing
the consumption of host processor resources that can
then be redirected to more critical functions.
The TSC2017 supports I2C serial bus and data
transmission protocol in all three defined modes:
standard, fast, and high-speed. It offers
programmable resolution of 8 or 12 bits to
accommodate different screen sizes and performance
The TSC2017 is available in a 12-lead,
(1.555 ±0,055mm) x (2.055 ±0,055mm), 3 x 4 array,
wafer chip-scale package (WCSP). The TSC2017 is
characterized for the –40°C to +85°C industrial
Please be aware that an important notice concerning availability, standard warranty, and use in critical applications of Texas
Instruments semiconductor products and disclaimers thereto appears at the end of this data sheet.
SureSet is a trademark of Texas Instruments.
I2C is a trademark of NXP Semiconductors.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
PRODUCTION DATA information is current as of publication date.
Products conform to specifications per the terms of the Texas
Instruments standard warranty. Production processing does not
necessarily include testing of all parameters.
Copyright © 2009, Texas Instruments Incorporated