LC6.5 – LC170A
1500 Watt Low Capacitance
Transient Voltage Suppressor
This hermetically sealed Transient Voltage Suppressor (TVS) product family includes a
rectifier diode element in series and in the opposite direction. This allows it to present a very
low (< 100 pF) capacitance to the system it is protecting (see Figure 2). The low capacitance
of these devices makes them particularly useful for protecting lines carrying high frequency
signals. They are also useful in protecting from the secondary effects of lightning in airborne
avionics per IEC61000-4-5, RTCA/DO-160G, and ARINC 429. If bidirectional transient
capability is required, two of these low capacitance TVS devices may be used in parallel in
opposite directions (anti-parallel) for complete ac protection as shown in Figure 4.
Important: For the latest information, visit our website http://www.microsemi.com.
• Unidirectional low-capacitance TVS series for flexible thru-hole mounting.
• For bidirectional applications, use two in anti-parallel (see Figure 4).
• Suppresses transients up to 1500 watts @ 10/1000 µs (see Figure 1).
• Clamps transients in less than 100 pico seconds (theoretical for unidirectional).*
• Working voltage (VWM) range 6.5 V to 170 V.
• 5% and 10% tolerance versions available.
• Hermetic sealed DO-13 metal package.
• Screening options available in reference to MIL-PRF-19500.
(See Part Nomenclature for all available options.)
• RoHS compliant versions available.
APPLICATIONS / BENEFITS
• Protection from switching transients and induced RFI.
• Low capacitance for data line protection up to 1 MHz.
• Protection for fast data rate lines in aircraft up to:
- RTCA/DO-160G Level 5 Waveform 4 and Level 2 Waveform 5A (also see MicroNote 130)
- ARINC 429, Part 1, paragraph 184.108.40.206 up to bit rates of 100 kb/s
• ESD & EFT protection per IEC 61000-4-2 and -4-4.
• Secondary lightning protection per IEC61000-4-5 with 42 ohms source impedance:
Class 1: LC6.5 to LC170A
Class 2: LC6.5 to LC150A
Class 3: LC6.5 to LC70A
Class 4: LC6.5 to LC36A
• Secondary lightning protection per IEC61000-4-5 with 12 ohms source impedance:
Class 1 : LC6.5 to LC90A
Class 2: LC6.5 to LC45A
Class 3: LC6.5 to LC22A
Class 4: LC6.5 to LC11A
• Secondary lightning protection per IEC61000-4-5 with 2 ohms source impedance:
Class 2: LC6.5 to LC20A
Class 3: LC6.5 to LC10A
• Inherently radiation hard as described in Microsemi MicroNote 050.
Also available in:
Case 1 package
LCE6.5 – LCE170A
(Gull wing surface mount)
(J-bend surface mount)
MSC – Lawrence
6 Lake Street,
Lawrence, MA 01841
Tel: 1-800-446-1158 or
Fax: (978) 689-0803
MSC – Ireland
Gort Road Business Park,
Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland
Tel: +353 (0) 65 6840044
Fax: +353 (0) 65 6822298
T4-LDS-0293, Rev. 1 (5/6/13)
©2013 Microsemi Corporation
Page 1 of 6