M21544, M21554, M21564
3G/HD/SD-SDI Long Reach Adaptive Cable Equalizer with Integrated
The M21544/54/64 are multi-rate, highly integrated, adaptive cable equalizers for SDI and DVB-ASI video as well as digital
audio applications. It provides adaptive, low noise, high gain equalization for 75 coaxial cable at SDI data rates from
125 Mbps to 2.97 Gbps. The device is capable of compensating for losses accumulated across cable length up to 200 m when
operating at 2.97 Gbps.
The M21544/54/64 feature an integrated jitter cleaner, which automatically removes the jitter generated at HD-SDI and 3G-SDI
at the output of the equalizer, eliminating the need for standalone reclockers at the input and reducing system cost, complexity
and power consumption. The jitter cleaner may be powered down and bypassed in applications where it is not required to allow
for optimized power consumption for each application.
The M21544/54 also feature dual differential outputs, eliminating the need for additional circuitry and simplifying system design.
Both outputs feature programmable swing as well as de-emphasis for enabling the signal to be transmitted across 40" of FR4
trace. The second, optional output may be disabled for additional power savings. The M21564 offers a single output solution
with a smaller footprint and maximum power savings.
The device operates using a single 2.5 V supply voltage and has extremely low power consumption with the equalizer and jitter
cleaner dissipating only 145 mW when one output driver is enabled. It may be used in either hardware mode, or controlled
through a standard four-wire serial digital interface. Furthermore, it features advanced diagnostic capabilities such as cable
length indication, loss of signal detection, and offers power management functions such as power down upon loss of signal.
The M21544/54/64 are offered in a green and RoHS compliant small footprint QFN package.
• SMPTE 424M, SMPTE 292M, SMPTE 344M, SMPTE 259M, and
• Robust adaptive cable equalization for up to 200 meters of Belden
1694A at 2.97 Gbps, up to 200 meters of Belden 1694A at
1.485 Gbps, and up to 400 meters of Belden 1694A at 270 Mbps
• Integrated jitter cleaner for 3G/HD-SDI use with automatic rate
• Individually controllable dual differential output drivers with
programmable 8 dB of de-emphasis
• Optional 6 dB flatband gain at input
• Cable length indication
• SD, HD and 3G Data Rate Detection
• Optional four-wire serial digital interface
• Very low power consumption: 145 mW (single output), 160 mW
• Power down and mute features
• Extended operating temperature range: -40 °C to +85 °C
• Broadcast video routing and production switchers
• Broadcast video distribution amplifiers
• Broadcast video cameras and monitors
Functional Block Diagram
SDI 6 dB
Mindspeed Proprietary and Confidential