Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
SEMICONDUCTOR TECHNICAL DATA
Document order number: MC33291/D
Rev 2, 11/2002
Eight Output Switch with Serial
Peripheral Interface I/O
The 33291 device is an eight output, low side power switch with 8-bit serial
input control. The 33291 is a versatile circuit designed for automotive applica-
tions, but is well suited for other environments. The 33291 incorporates
SMARTMOS technology, with CMOS logic, bipolar/MOS analog circuitry,
and DMOS power MOSFETs. The 33291 interfaces directly with a microcon-
troller to control various inductive or incandescent loads.
The circuit’s innovative monitoring and protection features include: Very
Low Standby Current, SPI Cascade Fault Reporting Capability, Internal 53 V
Clamp on Each Output, Output Specific Diagnostics, Independent Shutdown
The device is parametrically specified over an ambient temperature range
of -40°C ≤ TA ≤ 125°C and 9.0 V ≤ VPWR ≤ 16 V supply.
• Designed to Operate Over Wide Supply Voltages of 5.5 to 26.5 V
• Interfaces to Microprocessor Using 8-Bit SPI I/O Protocol up to 3.0 MHz
• 1.0 A Peak Current Outputs with Maximum RDS(on) of 1.6 Ω at TJ - 150°C
• Outputs Current Limited to Accommodate In-rush Currents Associated
with Switching Incandescent Loads
• Output Voltages Clamped to 53 V During Inductive Switching
• Maximum Sleep Current (IPWR) of 25 µA
• Maximum of 4.0 mA IDD During Operation
EIGHT OUTPUT SWITCH
-40°C to 125°C
MC33291DWR2 -40°C to 125°C
33291 Simplified Application Schematic
This device contains 1266 active transistors.
© Motorola, Inc. 2002
For More Information On This Product,
Go to: www.freescale.com