Smart card interface
• Protected I/O line
• VCC regulation (5 V ±5%, 100 mA max. with controlled
rise and fall times)
• VPP generation (12.5, 15 or 21 V ±2.5%, 50 mA max.,
with controlled rise and fall times) (only at TDA8001 and
• Clock generation (up to 10 MHz), with synchronous
• Overload, thermal and card extraction protections
• Current limitation in case of short-circuit
• Idle mode and special circuitry for spikes killing during
powering on and off
• Two voltage supervisors (digital and analog supplies)
• Automatic activation and deactivation sequences
through an independent internal clock
• Enhanced ESD protections on card side (4 kV min.)
• Easy chaining for multiple card readers
• ISO 7816 compatibility.
• Pay TV (multistandards conditional access system,
• Multi-application smart card readers (banking, vending
machine, electronic payment identification).
The TDA8001 is a complete, low-cost analog interface
which can be positioned between an asynchronous smart
card (ISO 7816) and a microcontroller. It is directly
compatible with the new Datacom chip verifier.
The complete supply, protection and control functions are
realized with only a few external components, making this
product very attractive for consumer applications
(see Chapter “Application information”).
plastic dual in-line package; 28 leads (600 mil)
SO28 plastic small outline package; 28 leads; body width 7.5 mm
1996 Dec 12