The W78E365 is an 8-bit microcontroller which has an in-system programmable FLASH EPROM for
firmware updating. The instruction set of the W78E365 is fully compatible with the standard 8052. The
W78E365 contains a 64K bytes of main FLASH EPROM and a 4K bytes of auxiliary FLASH EPROM
which allows the contents of the 64KB main FLASH EPROM to be updated by the loader program
located at the 4KB auxiliary FLASH EPROM; 1K bytes of on-chip AUX RAM; four 8-bit bi-directional
and bit-addressable I/O ports; an additional 4-bit port P4; three 16-bit timer/counters; a serial port.
These peripherals are supported by a eight sources two-level interrupt capability. To facilitate
programming and verification, the FLASH EPROM inside the W78E365 allows the program memory to
be programmed and read electronically. Once the code is confirmed, the user can protect the code for
The W78E365 microcontroller has two power reduction modes, idle mode and power-down mode, both
of which are software selectable. The idle mode turns off the processor clock but allows for continued
peripheral operation. The power-down mode stops the crystal oscillator for minimum power
consumption. The external clock can be stopped at any time and in any state without affecting the
• Fully static design 8-bit CMOS microcontroller up to 40 MHz.
•12 clocks per machine instrument cycle
• 64K bytes of in-system programmable FLASH EPROM for Application Program (APROM).
• 4K bytes of auxiliary FLASH EPROM for Loader Program (LDROM).
• 1K +256 bytes of on-chip RAM. (including 1K bytes of AUX-RAM, software selectable)
• 64K bytes program memory address space and 64K bytes data memory address space.
• 5 channels PWM (P1.3~P1.7 software controlable)
• Four 8-bit bi-directional ports.
• Additional direct LED drive outputs through P4.4 ~ P4.7 ( only for 48-pin LQFP package)
• Three 16-bit timer/counters
• One full duplex serial port
• Eight-sources, two-level interrupt capability
• Watchdog timer
• Built-in power management
• Code protection
− PDIP 40: W78E365-24/40
−PLCC 44: W78E365P-24/40
− PQFP 44: W78E365F-24/40
−LQFP 48: W78E365D-24/40
Publication Release Date: April 2001
- 1 - Revision A1