1. GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The WMS714x is a 16 non-volatile linear digital potentiometers available in 10KΩ, 50KΩ and 100KΩ
resistance values. The WMS7140/1 can be used as a three-terminal potentiometer or as a two
terminal variable resistor in a wide variety of applications.
The output of each potentiometer is determined by the wiper position, which varies in linearly between
VA and VB terminal according to the content stored in the volatile Tap Register (TR) which is
programmed through Up/Down (Increment/Decrement) interface. The channel has one non-volatile
memory location (NVMEM0) that can be directly written to by users through the Up/Down interface.
Power-on recall is also built in so the content of the NVMEM0 to Tap Register is automatically loaded.
The WMS7140/1 devices pin out the resistor wiper directly. The WMS7141 devices feature an output
buffer with 3mA minimum drive capability.
All the WMS7140/1 devices are single channel devices offered in 8-pin PDIP, SOIC and MSOP
packages. The WMS7140/1 devices operate over a wide operating voltage ranging from 2.7V to
• Drop-in replacements for many popular parts
• Available output buffer for WMS7141 devices
• Single linear-taper channel
• 16 taps
• 10K, 50K and 100K end-to end resistance
• VSS to VDD terminal voltages
• Non-volatile storage of wiper positions with power-on recall
• Data storage and potentiometer control through Up/Down (3-wire) interface
• Endurance 100,000 write cycles
• Data retention 100 years
• Package options:
o 8-pin PDIP, SOIC or MSOP
• Industrial temperature range: -40° ~ 85°C
• Single supply operation 2.7V to 5.5V