SCHS380 A – JUNE 2010 – REVISED AUGUST 2011
CMOS QUAD LOW-TO-HIGH VOLTAGE SHIFTER
Check for Samples: CD40109B-Q1
• Qualified for Automotive Applications
• Independent of Power Supply Sequence
– VCC Can Exceed VDD
– Input Signals can Exceed Both VCC and VDD
• Up and Down Level-Shifting Capability
• Three-State Outputs With Separate Enable
• Standardized Symmetrical Output
• 100% Tested for Quiescent Current at 20 V
• Maximum Input Current:
– 1 µA at 18 V Over Full
– 100 nA at 18 V and 25°C
• Noise Margin (Full Package-Temperature
– 1 V at VCC = 5 V, VDD = 10 V
– 2 V at VCC = 10 V, VDD = 15 V
• 5-V, 10-V, and 15-V Parametric Ratings
• Meets All Requirements of JEDEC Tentative
Standard No. 13B, "Standard specifications for
Description of 'B' Series CMOS Devices"
• Latch-Up Performance Meets 50 mA per JESD
78, Class I
• High-or-Low Level-Shifting With Three-State
Outputs for Unidirectional or Bidirectional
• Isolation of Logic Subsystem Using Separate
Power Supplies from Supply Sequencing,
Supply Loss, and Supply Regulation
CD40109B contains four low-to-high-voltage level-shifting circuits. Each circuit will shift a low-voltage digital-logic
input signal (A, B, C, D) with logical 1 = VCC and logical 0 = VSS to a high-voltage output signal (E, F, G, H) with
logical 1 = VDD and logical 0 = VSS.
The RCA-CD40109, unlike other low-to-high level-shifting circuits, does not require the presence of the
high-voltage supply (VDD) before the application of either the low-voltage supply (VCC) or the input signals. There
are no restrictions on the sequence of application of VDD, VCC, or the input signals. In addition, with one
exception there are no restrictions on the relative magnitudes of the supply voltages or input signals within the
device maximum ratings, provided that the input signal swings between VSS and at least 0.7 VCC; VCC may
exceed VDD, and input signals may exceed VCC and VDD. When operated in the mode VCC > VDD, the CD40109
will operate as a high-to-low level-shifter.
The CD40109 also features individual three-state output capability. A low level on any of the separately enabled
three-state output controls produces a high-impedance state in the corresponding output.
–40°C to 125°C
SOIC – NS
ORDERABLE PART NUMBER
Reel of 2000
(1) For the most current package and ordering information, see the Package Option Addendum at the end of this document, or see the TI
web site at www.ti.com.
(2) Package drawings, thermal data, and symbolization are available at www.ti.com/packaging.
Please be aware that an important notice concerning availability, standard warranty, and use in critical applications of Texas
Instruments semiconductor products and disclaimers thereto appears at the end of this data sheet.
PRODUCTION DATA information is current as of publication date.
Products conform to specifications per the terms of the Texas
Instruments standard warranty. Production processing does not
necessarily include testing of all parameters.
Copyright © 2010–2011, Texas Instruments Incorporated