ESS Technology, Inc.
6ISBA Video CD Processor
The 6ISBA® ES3890 single-chip Video CD (VCD)
processor is the latest innovation of ESS’s family of VCD
chips for VCD players. The 6ISBA ES3890 is based on
the ESS Programmable Multimedia Processor (PMP)
architecture consisting of a 32-bit video controller and a
64-bit video processor and it integrates the TV-encoder,
thus eliminating the need for a VCD companion chip.
The ES3890 integrates an audio ADC for microphone
inputs, two video DACs for Composite and S-video
outputs, and digital echo circuitry. With 6ISBA, VCD
player design and board layout become simpler, the VCD
system cost is much reduced, and it offers a very flexible
design configuration for 512 kB or 2 MB system RAM.
The ES3890 performs all of the functions such as video
filtering, NTSC/PAL conversion, audio and video error
concealment, and picture zoom in/out up to 4x
magnification. It supports On-Screen-Display (OSD) with
4 colors in 8 degrees of transparency, Karaoke, and VCD
2.0 Playback Control (PBC).
Features in the 6ISBA ES3890 solution include: a 7-band
audio graphic equalizer display with five pre-configured
settings and environment effects, Karaoke voice recording
for sing-along, and Karaoke scoring.
The ES3890 also offers the ESS SmartBright™ movie
brightness feature, the ESS SmartColor™ color balancing
feature, as well as the Kodak® Picture CD and Fujicolor®
CD JPEG photo viewing features.
The ESS SmartBright™ feature allows the brightness level
of VCD movies being played back to be adjusted in real
time while the ESS SmartColor feature allows the skin
color of JPEG photos being viewed to be enhanced. Other
features found with the ES3890 include support for CD+G
Karaoke, CD-Text, and Windows™ Media Audio (WMA)
decoding and playback.
The ES3890 is available in an industry-standard 128-pin
Plastic Quad Flat Pack (PQFP) device package.
• ESS proprietary dual CPU PMP core.
• Integrated TV-encoder.
• VCD 1.1 and 2.0 compatible.
• Composite or S-video output.
• CCIR601 non-square operation.
• NTSC/PAL formats.
• Video error concealment.
• SmartBright feature for adjusting brightness of movies
• Video scaling and X- and Y-axis interpolation.
• Motion pan and zoom to 4X magnification.
• Video CD 2.0 Playback Control.
• JPEG photos decoding and playback.
• Kodak Picture CD and Fujicolor CD JPEG image viewing.
• SmartColor feature for adjusting skin color of JPEG
photos during viewing.
• Trick mode functions.
• Dual microphones inputs.
• 7-band audio graphic equalizer.
• Programmable master clock for external audio DAC.
• Digital echo up to 168 ms delay.
• Karaoke voice recording.
• Karaoke scoring.
• CD+G Karaoke.
• Karaoke and subtitle functions.
• MP3 audio playback.
• CD-DA with CD-Text.
• Vocal reverb simulates a theater acoustic environment.
• Windows Media Audio decoding.
• Flexible design for 512 kB or 2 MB memory.
• Direct servo control.
• Remote control interface for power standby on/off.
• 4-bit On-Screen Display controller with 3-bit blending
supports 4 colors in 8 degrees of transparency.
• Power management.
• Optional lead-free leads using 98%-Sn/2%-Cu or 98%-
Sn/2%-Bi with ES3890FF.
ESS Technology, Inc.