Video CD MPEG Processor
The ES3880 Video CD MPEG processor is ESS’ third
generation highly integrated, optimal quality, and cost-
effective single chip solution for Video CD players. The
ES3880 is the best quality available for both video and
audio and easily passes the highest graded level for the
China VCD standard. The ES3880 integrates MPEG-1
video and audio processing and a full-fledged MPEG
system bit stream parser. The ES3880 can be used as a
microcontroller to provide system control, while also
performing such basic video operations as arbitrary
scaling and video filtering. The MPEG-1 system layer
bitstream is decoded at up to 9 Mb/s at Standard
Intermediate Format (SIF) resolution with a picture rate of
30 frames per second. Two channels of MPEG-1 Layer 1
or Layer 2 audio are decoded simultaneously.
The ES3880 supports SmartScale advanced scaling
techniques, along with SmartStream for audio and video
error concealment, and SmartZoom for enabling in/out
zooming of a particular area of a still picture or movie.
Additional features include DiscScan, TrackScan, QuickScan, On-
Screen-Display (OSD), Karaoke, Playback Control (PBC)
for Video CD 2.0, and entertainment game software.
System control and house-keeping functions (keypad and
remote control) are also provided.
The ES3880 can be implemented with the ES3883 Video
CD Video Encoder, which integrates most of the analog
discrete components required for a Video CD player.
Figure 1 shows a typical Video CD system using the
ES3880 and the companion ES3883 video encoder. When
the ES3880 and ES3883 are used in the design,
enhanced support for 3DSound and SurroundSound is
realized, along with support for interactive games.
The ES3880 is available in an industry-standard 100-pin
Plastic Quad Flat Pack (PQFP) package.
• Programmable Multimedia Processor (PMP) architecture
• MPEG-1 audio/video decoder and system parser
• CD block decoder functions
• Video interlacing hardware
• Color Space Conversion (CSC)
• STC interpretation and video/audio Phase-lock Loop (PLL)
• Supports both 8- and 16-bit YUV output
• 256/384 frame sampling frequency for audio system clock
• Programmable master clock for external audio DAC
• Independent bit clock for audio transmit and receive
• SmartScale video scaling supports X- and Y-axis interpolation
• SmartZoom supports 4X picture enlargement and reduction
• SmartStream supports audio and video bit stream error
• SmartVocal: cancels the vocal on an audio-CD
• Karaoke function
• Video Fader for fading video image (in and out)
• On-screen-Display (OSD)
• Playback Control (PBC) for Video CD 2.0
• Trick mode functions (Repeat, Goto, Set A-B, etc.)
• DiscScan, TrackScan, and QuickScan
• Video CD 1.1 and 2.0, and Audio CD compatible
• Power management
• 3.6 V power supply with 5 V tolerant I/O’s
• 100-pin PQFP
• Can be used with either serial or parallel interfaces
256K X 16
ES3883 Video CD
Figure 1 ES3880 System Block Diagram
ESS Technology, Inc.