BATTERY PROTECTION IC FOR SINGLE-CELL PACK S-8201 Series
The S-8201 Series are lithium-ion/lithium polymer
rechargeable battery protection ICs incorporating high-
accuracy voltage detection circuit and delay circuit.
The S-8201 Series are suitable for protection of single-
cell lithium ion/lithium polymer battery packs from
overcharge, overdischarge and overcurrent.
(1) Internal high accuracy voltage detection circuit
• Overcharge detection voltage 3.9 V to 4.4 V (5 mV step),
• Overcharge release voltage
Accuracy ±25 mV (+25 °C), ±30 mV (−5 °C to +55 °C)
3.8 V to 4.4 V*1,
• Overdischarge detection voltage 2.0 V to 3.0 V (10 mV step), Accuracy ±50 mV
• Overdischarge release voltage 2.0 V to 3.4 V*2,
Accuracy ±100 mV
• Overcurrent 1 detection voltage 0.05 V to 0.3 V (10 mV step) Accuracy ±15 mV
• Overcurrent 2 detection voltage 0.5 V (fixed)
Accuracy ±100 mV
(2) High voltage device is used for charger connection pins.
(VM pin and CO pin: Absolute maximum rating=28 V)
(3) Delay times (Overcharge: tCU, Overdischarge: tDL, Overcurrent 1: tlOV1, Overcurrent 2: tlOV2) are generated
by an internal circuit. (No external capacitor is necessary.)
(4) The overcharge timer reset delay time (7 ms to 40 ms) is generated by an internal circuit only. (No
external capacitor is necessary.)
(5) Three-step overcurrent detection circuit is included. (Overcurrent 1, Overcurrent 2, Load short-circuiting)
(6) Either charge function or charge inhibition function for 0 V battery can be selected.
(7) Charger detection function and abnormal charge current detection function
• The overdischarge hysteresis is released by detecting negative voltage at the VM pin (−0.7 V typ.).
(Charger detection function)
• When the output voltage of the DO pin is high and the voltage at the VM pin is equal to or lower than
the charger detection voltage (−0.7 V typ.), the output voltage of the CO pin goes low. (Abnormal
charge current detection function)
(8) Low current consumption
3.5 µA typ., 7.0 µA max.
0.1 µA max.
(9) Wide operating temperature range −40 °C to +85°C
(10) Small package
6-Pin SOT-23-6, 6-Pin SNB(B)
*1. The overcharge hysteresis voltage is 0.0 V or can be selected from the range 0.1 V to 0.4 V in 50 mV
Overcharge hysterests voltage (VHC)=Overcharge detection voltage−Overcharge release voltage
*2. The overdischarge hysteresis voltage is 0.0 V or can be selected from the range 0.1 V to 0.7 V in
100 mV step.
Overdischarge hysteresis voltage (VHD)=Overdischarge release voltage−Overdischarge detection
• Lithium-ion rechargeable battery packs
• Lithium polymer rechargeable battery packs
Seiko Instruments Inc.