Zero standby power
CMOS versatile PAL devices
The PLC18V8Z is a universal PAL® device featuring high
performance and virtually zero-standby power for power sensitive
applications. They are reliable, user-configurable substitutes for
discrete TTL/CMOS logic. While compatible with TTL and HCT
logic, the PLC18V8Z can also replace HC logic over the VCC range
of 4.5 to 5.5V.
The PLC18V8Z is a two-level logic element comprised of 10 inputs,
74 AND gates (product terms) and 8 output Macro cells.
Each output features an “Output Macro Cell” which can be
individually configured as a dedicated input, a combinatorial output,
or a registered output with internal feedback. As a result, the
PLC18V8Z is capable of emulating all common 20-pin PAL devices
to reduce documentation, inventory, and manufacturing costs.
A power-up reset function and a Register Preload function have
been incorporated in the PLC18V8Z architecture to facilitate state
machine design and testing.
With a standby current of less than 100µA and active power
consumption of 1.5mA/MHz, the PLC18V8Z is ideally suited for
power sensitive applications in battery operated/backed portable
instruments and computers.
The PLC18V8Z is also processed to industrial requirements for
operation over an extended temperature range of -40°C to +85°C
and supply voltage of 4.5V to 5.5V.
Ordering information can be found on the following page.
• 20-pin Universal Programmable Array Logic
• Virtually Zero-Standby-power
– 20µA (typical)
• Available in DIP, PLCC, SOL (Small Outline), SSOP (Shrink Small
Outline), and TSSOP (Thin Shrink Small Outline) packages
• Functional replacement for Series 20 PAL devices
– IOL = 24mA
• Up to 18 inputs and 8 input/output macro cells
• Programmable output polarity
• Power-up reset on all registers
• Register Preload capability
• Synchronous Preset/Asynchronous Reset
• Security fuse to prevent duplication of proprietary designs
• Also available in 3V operation–the P3C18V8Z
• Battery powered instruments
• Laptop and pocket computers
• Industrial control
• Medical Instruments
• Portable communications equipment
D, DB, DH, N, Packages
D = Plasitc Small Outline Large Package (300mil-wide)
DB = Plastic Shrink Small Outline Package (5.3mm wide)
DH = Plastic Thin Shrink Small Outline Package (4.4mm wide)
N = Plastic Dual In-Line Package (DIP) (300mil-wide)
I2 I1 CLK VCC F7
3 2 1 20 19
9 10 11 12 13
I8 GND I9/ F0 F1
A = Plastic Leaded Chip Carrier
I Dedicated Input
B Bidirectional input/output
O Dedicated output
D Registered output (D-type flip-flop)
F Output/Input Macrocell
CLK Clock Input
OE Output Enable
PAL is a registered trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
1997 Aug 08