Document Number: MC33984
Rev. 9.0, 1/2007
Dual Intelligent High-Current
High-Side Switch (4.0 mΩ)
The 33984 is a dual self-protected 4.0 mΩ silicon switch used to
replace electromechanical relays, fuses, and discrete devices in
power management applications. The 33984 is designed for harsh
environments, and it includes self-recovery features. The device is
suitable for loads with high inrush current, as well as motors and all
types of resistive and inductive loads.
Programming, control, and diagnostics are implemented via the
Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI). A dedicated parallel input is
available for alternate and pulse-width modulation (PWM) control of
each output. SPI-programmable fault trip thresholds allow the device
to be adjusted for optimal performance in the application.
The 33984 is packaged in a power-enhanced 12 x 12 nonleaded
PQFN package with exposed tabs.
• Dual 4.0 mΩ Max High-Side Switch with Parallel Input or SPI
• 6.0 V to 27 V Operating Voltage with Standby Currents < 5.0 µA
• Output Current Monitoring with Two SPI-Selectable Current Ratios
• SPI Control of Overcurrent Limit, Overcurrent Fault Blanking Time,
Output-OFF Open Load Detection, Output ON/OFF Control,
Watchdog Timeout, Slew Rates, and Fault Status Reporting
• SPI Status Reporting of Overcurrent, Open and Shorted Loads,
Overtemperature, Undervoltage and Overvoltage Shutdown, Fail-
Safe Pin Status, and Program Status
• Enhanced -16 V Reverse Polarity VPWR Protection
MC33984BPNA/R2 -40°C to 125°C
Figure 1. 33984 Simplified Application Diagram
* This document contains certain information on a new product.
Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2007. All rights reserved.